Filet Crochet

Misty Lucas Cma

Question

I woudl like to make a filet crochet pattern that are the letters of my brothers fraternity. I was wondering if I could make this using yarn instead of thread, or maybe a larger diameter yarn. I have used a 3 and a 10. I much prefer the 3, but the hook is still really small. Would yarn have the same effect as thread? Should I maybe use a sport yarn? I've never made one before.

5 answers to this question

Filet crochet is done in both yarn and thread. If you switch over to yarn, it will make the piece larger. You also would have to adjust your hook size to a larger size. Your best bet would be to do a gauge swatch with the yarn you are considering and a larger hook and see if you like it.

LI Roe

What is the end product?  (A placemat? Blanket?)

If you want to keep the scale similar to a thread design, but make it in yarn and a larger hook instead, you might think of a graph-ghan or picture-ghan, where each color (if you think of simple filet open + filled meshes as 2 colors) is 1 sc stitch.  You could also make it in school or fraternity colors this way.

If you use yarn with the filet technique, the design will be much bigger and the design will be harder to see close up.  Think of looking at the pixels on your computer screen from an inch away versus a couple of feet.  For filet, smaller scale is better.

In struggling to keep my lines straight while doing filet. I'm not sure if I should be stitching in the stitch right next to my chain 3 or not at the beginning of the row and if I am supposed to stitch in the last stitch AND the chain 3 at the end of the row...

Archived