Color Changing

kimberlyj

Question

Hi everyone,

I am still fairly new to crochet and my current project is a crochet blanket that I am making from an image on a graph. I've watched several tutorials for different methods of color changing, but I'm still not completely satisfied with the outcome. When I carry the yarn, I don't like that I still see the other colors through the stitching. If I cut the yarn and weave in the ends, some places still show tiny tufts of yarn sticking out. It doesn't look terrible, but I was hoping you all might have some suggestions for me! Ty!

-Kimberly

9 answers to this question

Some patterns that require yarns to be carried in the back (or tails) still show through, especially if the colors are very contrasting. To help us help you, would you please add a link to the pattern in question to determine the best approach?   

I'm working on a Georgia Bulldogs blanket... I'll have to check the policies thread again to make sure I wouldn't be violating anything in regards to licensing/copyright before I post the pattern I made. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of my project for now... thanks.

It's not necessary to print the pattern. If it's your personal pattern, just show a close-up pic of one of the areas where your not pleased with the "look" of the stitches. This is just to get an idea for us what it looks like.

In the meantime, here is another step-by-step in Tapestry Crochet you may not have seen about carrying yarn. The main point being, to carry the yarn on top of the loops instead of behind the stitches. Hope this helps you.

How long are you leaving your tails?  You should leave about 6" and weave as much of that as you can into your work, in multiple directions, to keep it from unraveling.  You won't use the entire 6", but you need room to stitch with.

Here is 1 tutorial http://crochet.about.com/library/bl_weave_ends.htm   I have to wait to the end of my project to weave my ends in, because I weave through the yarn plies, not just under stitches, and you need dynamite (or scissors) to undo it.

I am leaving the tails about that length, but I have not yet tried the method in your tutorial... I will be sure to give that a try and let you know how it works out :) Thanks. 

Are you weaving them first under the stitches and then through the plies? or just along the plies as in the tutorial and not under the stitches themselves?

I've made graph ghans and weave in the ends from at least two directions as GS suggested. I don't go through the plies, but by the time I'm done weaving in multiple directions I also need either dynamite or scissors to undo it!

I do like the tapestry way of starting g a new color ....I had forgotten about that and I have Carol Ventura's book! I've gotten into lazy routines, not trying new things much these days....lol!

Are you weaving them first under the stitches and then through the plies? or just along the plies as in the tutorial and not under the stitches themselves?

It sometimes depends on whether both sides might show or not, but typically (for yarn, thread's a little different) I don't go under the stitches - I go thru  the bottoms (usually that's the 'fattest' part) of the stitches, stabbing the yarn; go around an inconspicuous loop, and go back the opposite direction, stabbing both the stitches and the yarn I just put thru there.  If that would make things too bulky, I'll split the plies of the tail and work it that way in 2 directions, or 2 different stitch paths.

I rarely work over yarn tails; it makes the stitches a little loose and is not secure.  Sometimes I'll work over part of a tail, but weave the rest in.

Those are great photos. Nice and detailed.

I do the same as Granny Square; Work over yarn tails for about 4 stitches, then weave the remainder back and forth through previous rows and "stabbing" through the yarn itself inside the stitches. I've never had any tails pop out, even after laundering several times. 

Archived