What size Granny Squares for blanket

WDW1958

Question

I have been looking through several websites that have quilt blocks that could be, I think, adapted to crocheting. Has anyone here crochet a blanket from some of these patterns? Or designed their own?  If so what size did you make the granny squares ?  What pattern of square as I see there are many many patterns ? 

I saw one called Around the World that looks easy, but there are a lot of squares which I believe are 2 1/2 inch squares. It is for a queen size bed.

Any suggestiions would be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend

Wendy

9 answers to this question

Here is a free one on Ravelry.  I think this is the type you are talking about.  Patchwork

There is another designer who did a lot of the patchwork afghans and such on Ravelry, but I can not remember her name.

You should be able to read the pattern and see what size square you need.

Welcome to the 'ville!

I haven't made a quilt-ghan, but here's a link to a set of patterns that came to mind when you mentioned it - "Happy Yellow House" website was taken down, the designer put some but not all on Ravelry.  It looks like they use 2-row grannies.

Note, if you click on one that says 'free Ravelry download', the pattern is available; if it's only a link to the dead website, it's not available.  However, the patterns are just a combination of solid color and bi-color grannies. so you should be able to reconstruct most quilt patterns by using the technique from one that's available, this one for instance http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/county-fair-crochet-quilt

Also, if you wanted to make bigger squares, it would be easy to follow the concept for the bi-color square for additional rounds...

edit, link troubles, should work now

Thanks all for your help. Will be looking them up. And yes I to have better luck with Giant Grannies :)

Hi, Wendy, I've made many quilt type ghans using patterns from Cara's Happy Yellow House as well as various pattern books. I love the results when making the 2 round grannies the best. I actually don't mind joining them, either....leave long tails and end the squares in the middle of a corner. It avoids having to join a new strand of yarn. I've also used larger squares if I wanted to make a ghan project go faster. I have some pics on my blog ....link in my signature line.

Judy, Your blog is very inspiring. I will go take another look, more slowly this time and get ideas on colors and such. Thanks a million :cheer

I would also like to know what is the best kind of yarn to use in these quilt like patterns?  Most of the afghans I have made I used Bernat Soft and Chunky because it works up so well . But am open to better suggestions.

Wendy

you're very welcome, Wendy!

We use any 4 ply worsted weight (#4 or medium)for the quilt ghans. The Bernat worsted is soft and works great and drapes well. If making a baby ghan I will use Caron Simply soft or some other lighter weight yarn - bearing in mind that the lighter the weight, the smaller the hook and the longer it will take to complete. I think the chunky yarn won't give you the look you're after. Just my opinion - and I have never used it, so it's just a guess.

I usually use Red Heart Super Saver because it's easy to find and there are a very wide range of colors available.it's not as soft as Bernat, but once you wash it and use fabric softener it's fine.

Let us know how it goes!

Archived