Help with a Chunky beanie pattern

dentalnurse987

Question

Hi,

I have a UK pattern for a beanie hat and i cant even do the first stitch, haha

Im quite new to crocheting and only managed baby blankets so far.

Ive asked 2 other people that have been crocheting for years and they have both given me 2 different takes on it so now im very very confused.

If someone could help me and explain it in very easy terms i will love you forever.

Ok here it is: again it is UK terms and from deramores 

Round 1: Chain 3 (count as first treble), work 47 treble foundation stitches, slip stitch in top of 3 chain to join, 48 stitches.

ok ive been told to make 50 chains and join in 3 chain to make 48 chains.

I make the 3 chains and then cant see where im meant to then make the 47 treble stitches in...

Sooooo stuck so any help would be brilliant.

Thanks

Eve

8 answers to this question

Are you sure you're not missing something in the pattern because it would SAY no chain start or have a starting chain with a slip stitch to start - unless this pattern starts at the bottom of the hat insteat of the top?  

IF it has no other instructions than what you posted, then I'd go with what the person above me posted and do a no chain start.

I do have one suggestion for you because you said you're new at crocheting.  I would copy the pattern and put in the American terms in place of the UK terms so you don't get confused while making the beanie.  I'd hate to see you follow the directions exactly and wind up with this huge thing that you can't use.

Good luck!

Are you sure you're not missing something in the pattern because it would SAY no chain start or have a starting chain with a slip stitch to start - unless this pattern starts at the bottom of the hat insteat of the top?  

As it is a UK pattern and it  says work 47 treble foundation stitches it could be the way the designer writes her patterns for the foundation rnd instead and it wouldn't really have to say no chain start.

>>>>Round 1: Chain 3 (count as first treble), work 47 treble foundation stitches, slip stitch in top of 3 chain to join, 48 stitches.<<<<<<<

I did a search and saw a pattern that has you do foundation stitches at the start of the row, and has an explanation about them so  maybe yours has that somewhere in the pattern. It is often at the top of the pattern.

Hi,

I have a UK pattern for a beanie hat and i cant even do the first stitch, haha

Im quite new to crocheting and only managed baby blankets so far.

Ive asked 2 other people that have been crocheting for years and they have both given me 2 different takes on it so now im very very confused.

If someone could help me and explain it in very easy terms i will love you forever.

Ok here it is: again it is UK terms and from deramores 

Round 1: Chain 3 (count as first treble), work 47 treble foundation stitches, slip stitch in top of 3 chain to join, 48 stitches.

ok ive been told to make 50 chains and join in 3 chain to make 48 chains.

I make the 3 chains and then cant see where im meant to then make the 47 treble stitches in...

Sooooo stuck so any help would be brilliant.

Thanks

Eve

Welcome to the ville :hook

As Sarisue said, you need to do 47 treble foundation stitches. This is a distinct type of stitch and its correct name. It would be good if somewhere in the pattern it defined the specific stitch.

With foundation stitches you essentially make the chain at the bottom of each stitch as you go along.

I agree with all of the above.

If you were completely new to crochet, I think I would have given the same advice as your friends and told you to skip the DC (US terms) foundation and used the old fashioned chain foundation if that's what you are used to, and chaining 50 will give you 48 dc. (make the first dc in the 4th chain from the hook)

But, since you have some baby blanket experience, the foundation dc would be a good 'new technique' to add to your stitch repertoire.  I would put that in an 'intermediate skill' category. 

Foundation SC or DC is more stretchy than using chains, also it's easier to count the stitches that way.  It's often recommended for neck openings, cuffs and such, where the added stretch is needed.  It's just a different way to get to the same end of 48 DC, it's never 100% necessary to use it versus the traditional chain foundation. 

Archived