Help with Lacet Stitch

flasunshine

Question

I must be reading this wrong, but I just can't be sure.

I'm trying to work a shrug in the lacet stitch, but my rows don't look right. Here's the pattern...can someone make sure that the instructions are right, and can someone tell me if I'm reading it right! It seems like a step is being left out, but I can't be sure.

row 2: DC in next sc, (ch2, sk 2 sc, sc in next sc, ch2, sk 2sc, dc in next sc) across. Dc in last sc. ch3 turn.

row 3: Dc in next dc, ch5, (sk next 2ch, sc, and 2 ch) dc in next dc. (ch5, dc in next dc) across. Dc in last st. ch3, turn.

Where I get confused is the 2 sets of paranthesed instructions....what do I repeat? The first set, the second set, or both sets? Also, in the first set of parantheses, am I sk 2ch, sc and CROCHETING 2ch, or SKIPPING 2 ch?

Hate to be dense, but I've started and ripped this out about 10 times! I'm about to chuck it in the trash and give up! Thanks for the help.

7 answers to this question

:think On row 3, you are skipping everything in the first lot of brackets, then you do the Dc into next DC, then you do what is in the second lot of brackets, then go back to the first lot of brackets,

:think I would have put an asterix in front of the first lot and after the second lot so you would know to repeat just those bits for the row. Looks to me as if there should be a CH5 at the end of the row, then Dc into last st.

:think Can you include row 1 and I will have a go at the stitch and see if there is any way to simplify the instructions.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Here's the pattern...all rows. Thanks for your help!

Lacet Stitch Pattern

1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch3, turn.
  2. Dc in next sc, (ch2, skip 2 sc, sc in next sc, ch2, skip 2 sc, dc in next sc) across. Dc in last sc. Ch3, turn.
  3. Dc in next dc, ch5, (skip next 2 ch, sc, and 2 ch) dc in next dc, (ch5, dc in next dc) across. Dc in last st. Ch3, turn.
  4. Dc in next dc, (ch2, skip 2 ch, sc in next ch, ch2, sk 2 ch, dc in next dc) across. Dc in last st. Ch3, turn.

3. Dc in next dc, ch5, (skip next 2 ch, sc, and 2 ch) dc in next dc, (ch5, dc in next dc) across. Dc in last st. Ch3, turn.

This just looks like it was poorly written, no wonder you had trouble with it! Here's how it should read:

Dc in next dc, *ch5, (skip next 2 ch, sc, and 2 ch) dc in next dc*, repeat from * to * across. Dc in last st. Ch3, turn.

Much simpler, no?

Editing to add that all stitches listed between the parens are to be skipped, in case that wasn't clear enough. You are just doing ch5 and dc in each dc of the previous row for row 3.

Is this for the holey squares shrug? I've made this one, and had some problems figuring out the instructions too.

lol, I accidently changed the pattern, and did one row twice. So, the pattern looks a little different. (I forgot to turn the page for the instructions....lol)

http://groups.msn.com/HappyHookeraCrochetersParadise/butterflygirlscrocheting.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2007

Here is a picture of my little guy modelling it for me. The rectangle space turned out more like a circle, or diamond. I think it looks alright.

Yes...this is that d($%%& Holey Squares shrug! It is FINALLY looking right, especially since goldi figured out what was wrong with that pattern! I'm chugging along now and have gotten past the urge to chuck it in the trash!I'll try to post a pic when I get it done!

Archived