Selling My Product Advice Needed Please

Nicole Castro

Question

Hello

A little about myself. I started to crochet as a way to relieve stress. It came into very good use when I lost my job a few months ago. I am in need of money to pay my insurance bill this month and thought I would have a garage sale this weekend. One thing that I will be offering is crochet dish cloths. 

I managed to get 14 dish cloths out of one red heart white 4 ply yarn ball. Is that good? I was hoping to sell them for $1.00 each since its a garage sale. I know I have seen online 2-3 for sale for like $12 but no one will spend that much at a garage sale.

I do manage to only spend  $2-$3 max for yarn.

Overall

I spent $1.77 on yarn.

Planning on selling them for $1.00

Made 14 dish cloths 5 1/2 in x 6 in

4 ply yarn in white

Profit: $12.23

Opinions/Comments 

Thank You

7 answers to this question

Good luck to you.  I totally understand the thought process that many crafters have about getting a US-hourly wage + materials for their product, but honestly...unless you are selling your stuff in a boutique on Rodeo Drive you aren't likely to get it.

And (I think) at a garage sale everyone seems to expect everything to be really cheap, or to haggle for it, so it is probably the least profitable venue.  Even at flea markets/craft fairs around here , $1 or even less for scrubbies or wash cloths is about the going asking price.

Just tossing this out, ask $1.50 and if someone looks interested, say "I'll let you have it for $1.00"  -- everyone loves a "bargain".

Thank you for your kind words. I know it is difficult to sell crochet items. I have seen people sell them on etsy very expensive and super cheap on eBay. It is so sad that crochet does not have its fair trade value. I know that I put a lot of time into my work and then have people say it's too much. For now I will keep my projects small and quick. 

I just had booths in 5 Crafts Shows this fall, and sold my dishcloths for: bundle of two for $3.50, bundle of 4 for $5.  I tied them up with a pretty ribbon (from Dollar Tree!) and sold all I had!  I had these same dishcloths last year, at 6 Crafts shows, for $1.00 each--couldn't GIVE them away!!  Tie them up with a pretty ribbon, and people go crazy!!  :think Even at your yard sale, they might sell better tied up in a sweet little bundle! ;) 

Out of the 50 to60 women who attend our charity craft auctions, I can count on one hand those who really like crochet, have the disposable income, and are willing to pay anything close to the actual yarn/labor/design value of an afghan. Those very few will bid competitively. But, as other folks here have said, most shoppers are looking for bargains and go for the low-dollar items when they go to such events. I've found, too, that people have generally conventional tastes, and crochet is not often a craft they prefer.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question -- just saying there's low return on investment in selling crochet. In general, at least.

I just had booths in 5 Crafts Shows this fall, and sold my dishcloths for: bundle of two for $3.50, bundle of 4 for $5.  I tied them up with a pretty ribbon (from Dollar Tree!) and sold all I had!  I had these same dishcloths last year, at 6 Crafts shows, for $1.00 each--couldn't GIVE them away!!  Tie them up with a pretty ribbon, and people go crazy!!  :think Even at your yard sale, they might sell better tied up in a sweet little bundle! ;) 

Thank You for the great tip! I too have a Dollar Tree in my area. I actually found sandwich baggies that had little snowman on them. 1 dish cloth fit perfectly in the baggie. 

Thank you all for your tips/advice. I know I won't become rich with crochet and I am okay with that. It is a hobby that I found recently and very happy to do. I am very new to it, just doing it only 1 month but very pleased with it so far. I showed my mother a blanket I made and honestly she is more impressed with my crochet skills than me being able to play 4 different instruments properly. Lol  Again thank you to all of you,.

Archived