help making this backpack

taraleigh3182

Question

Hi guys! So I have a request to make a backpack similar to finn the humans from the show, "adventure time". As I can't find a pattern for this, I'm trying to come up with my own. My thoughts are to make two sections (one in each color) In the round inc until desired size then evenly until I reach desired length then stitch together only in the back so it will open and maybe adding a small flap for button closure. For the straps, not sure if I'm just gonna make two flat pieces for each strap and stitch together or work in the round like a tail. Any thoughts would be so appreciated! Thanks!

post-68366-0-43452700-1382022397.png

post-68366-0-08868000-1382022411_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Yes, your thoughts on putting it together are what would work. As for the straps, yarn has a tendency of stretching so if you place rope inside your crocheted rope pieces, or something else to stabilize them before stitching to your bag, I highly recommend doing that. This would make the straps more sturdy.

I was reading your reply to the above and you gave me an excellent idea about putting rope in the straps of the backpack.  I was looking for a backpack pattern for my grandson of the minion from despicable me.  I made my own through modification of another pattern and was concerned about the straps stretching.  I've already put it together but it will work.   :ty

Rope might be cheaper, but I imagine it would be uncomfortable if it's going to see real use.  You should be able to find something at the fabric store that is a sturdy flat fabric 'bias tape' but bigger, sturdier, made for binding rugs I--or at lease that's what I've used it for.  Also, hardware stores sell nylon strapping for something like $.50-$1 per foot depending on the idth, which is used in luggage straps, fanny packs and the like.

Love this site. Thank you. That's even better.  I didn't think about the comfort. Duh! The bias tape is even better or the nylon strapping.  Do you know if the nylon comes in clear?

Bias tape is another idea but the reason I wouldn't recommend it alone is because it isn't thick enough or strong enough for a strap unless you stitch it across your crocheted pieces somehow. Bias tape isn't intended for being used for straps but sewn to the back of the pieces would add strength and could work.

Backpacks tend to be thrown around a lot. Another option is to use webbing which is what is used on canvas backpacks. I have never seen it come in clear but does come in various colors and I get mine from Joanne's fabrics. When I use rope, I place it inside a crocheted tube and it actually is comfortable and very strong as it is found in the clothes line section of hardware stores. Actually, it can be quite expensive, more expensive than bias tape but it makes the straps tubular which is why I originally recommended it, as the Adventure time bag would look better with a tubular strap. In most cases, flat straps are more commonly used.:)

Bias tape was the wrong word for it.  It's not the flimsy cotton fabric cut on the bias that is sold in little packages--what I was thinking of is a tape, sold by the yard, that's much heaver than heavy canvas.  If you were making a fabric tote, these would make sturdy handles as is.

I found some of the stuff I've used before--- it's 1.25" wide, woven at that width, not cut on the bias but it is woven in a bias-appearing pattern.

You would find it in reels (like you find ribbon purchased by the yard), probably with the upholstery fabric and notions.

Archived