saving a sun-bleached blanket?

sparkle814

Question

Hello all...I did a bad thing. I left a project in the car for several months and it got sun-bleached. :(

I pulled it out to work on it the other day and realized that the part of the blanket that was near the opening of the bag is now a kind of white color while the rest is the original pinkish lavender color of the yarn. I thought about dyeing it but I realized you can't use Rit dye on acrylic yarn. 

Any suggestions on how I can salvage this poor little blanket? The sun-bleached part is right smack in the middle of the darn blanket, so I don't really want to unravel back to it. It's only a baby blanket so it's not that big, but it's basket weave so that's a lot of stitches! I thought about maybe bleaching the whole thing to make it white(ish?) but I'm afraid that will weaken the yarn. Help!

7 answers to this question

I would imagine the faded area is weakened already from the effects of the sun.  

the only expereince I've had with bleach and yarn was a scrubber made out of Red Heart Super Saver.  the color was not much affected by Comet with bleach.  

Sorry I'm no help!  :blush

Wow!  I thought I was the only one who did things like this!!   :ohdear  I'm REALLY glad to hear I am wrong!  You just described the EXACT same thing I experienced!  I hope someone on here can help us hopeless people!! :sweat

I had a skein of yarn do that, and I used it anyway because it looked kind of neat (mint green shaded up to white.) If you don't like the way it looks, how would it look with an applique in the white part or some kind of surface crochet to make it look deliberate?

(Yes, I AM too lazy to remake a whole blanket, and cheap too! :lol )

Thank you for the information and suggestions, all!

Becky - I thought about just throwing the blanket out and starting all over again because even that seems preferable to frogging and starting half way through lol! I like the idea of something to cover it up - maybe I can crochet a big heart patch to stitch over top of it. (Although I'm secretly still hoping someone knows of some top secret dye that works with acrylic yarn.... :D )

Collette - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, too! I won't be doing it again, though, haha! At least it was a small project.

Archived