newbie with questions :)

taraleigh3182

Question

Hi everyone! I am, literally, brand new at crochet but I've learned very quickly with the help of these forums and youtube. ;) but, I'm having an issue that I'm afraid is turning in to a very bad habit! I crochet VERY, VERY tight!! I think this is due to two things ; 1) my personal opinion that I like the way the tight stitches look and dislike huge holes and 2) because I don't really have a good system in holding /gripping my working yarn. Nothing really feels right! This is also resulting in very inconsistent stitches. I've tried using a bigger hook and I also am sure to slide my loops over the biggest part of the hook. Still, very tight! Any advice?

One more thing...I'm having a terrible time figuring out where to sl st while working in the round (in ch or 1st actual stitch) and also where to place my last stitch in a row (under the loops on the topmost ch or in the sp made by the ch). Either way, it seems really holey. Only solutions I've found are spirals (not always ideal) and a standing dc (haven't attempted yet). Any wisdom y'all could offer would be so appreciated.

Tara

13 answers to this question

I crocheted so tightly when I first started that my hands would hurt. My mother was constantly telling me to relax and loosen up! I later found out it's a common problem when you are new to crochet. I think it's due to anxiety that the sts will be too loose and the piece will turn out sloppy. We don't realize when we first start that it takes a lot of practice to get nice, smooth, even sts ~ that's why our mothers and grandmothers had us practice on a lot of flat pieces. It just takes a lot of practice and patience. Today, people want to jump right into shaped and fitted items before being able to crochet smoothly. Then, it's awfully disappointing when the items just don't come out right. There's just no substitute for practice, then your work will flow much better. We've all been through it.

Ok. Finding a method that you are comfortable with, so that you don't do your stitches too tight, is just because yuo are a beginner. You will loosen up when you have more practice. You shouldn't need to crochet tightly deliberately to not have holes. Use a smaller hook if your holes are too big. Try holding the hook like a pencil instead of a

knife, and see what suits you best.

About the joining in the round. You join into the top chain of the turning chain. It helps to put a stitch marker in that chain so you always go into the right place.

For the straight rows. When working sc, you work the first stitch and when you get to the end of the round, work the last stitch into the v of the last stitch.

When doing other stitches, you use a turning chain that is the height of the stitch you are using, and this counts as a stitch (unless the pattern says otherwise), you do not work into the stitch where the turning chain is.

When you get to the end of the row, you work a stitch into the top of the turning chain.

Edges on straight work are always a little messy, but that is why we put borders on.

As for knowing where to start or end rows or rnds, make st markers your new best friends. This takes the guessing out of your work.

For rows ~ Make the starting ch. After you put the first st in the ch, place a marker in the top of it. Work along the chain to the last st. After you do the last st, ch up however many you need to start the next row, let's say it's 3 for a dc row. So after you ch up this 3 for the next row, put a st marker in the top ch of these 3 ch's. Now turn, and dc along the row. Now you have a st marker at each end that tells you the end sts. When you get to these, you know you will crochet into the exact spot where you have put them, and move them up each row into the same exact same spot there. This way, you won't have future mistakes.

For rnds ~ When you do the first rnd of sts, place a st marker in the top of the very first st. Do the rest of the sts around, let's say 6 sc total. After you have all 6 sc done, slst to the st that has the marker in it, because you know that is the first st. Remove the marker, ch 1, sc in the same sc (usually) and place the marker in the top of this first sc for this rnd. Cont your pattern as stated. If you are spiraling, and not connecting with a slst, do the 6 sc, remove the marker, sc in the top of the marked st, mark this st, and cont on. You do not have to slst or ch up.

Thank you ladies so much! What I'm afraid of is that I will get so used to crocheting tightly that it'll be a lifetime bad habit! Glad to hear that this isn't necessarily the case. I do hold the hook like a pencil but do u think it is really bad that I only drape my yarn over my pointer finger and that's it?

Also, I don't think I'm "trying to" crochet tightly to avoid holes...just think it may be subconscious due to what I find visually appealing.

I suppose for now I.just hafta allow for the size difference and make things bigger than the pattern suggests and practice, practice, practice! Thanks again!

I only drape my yarn over my pointer finger too. I let it run loosely between my other fingers and my palm, then up over my pointer finger. I can't wind it through my fingers and work with it that way, even though I've seen pictures stating that's how we "ought" to work with the yarn. It feels ridiculous to me.

I don't think you'll work too tightly forever because you are conscious of it and are trying to improve. Some people don't care as much about improving as they do about getting done fast. Fast is nice, but I want my items to look good, fit right, hold up to washing, etc.

Usually dc leaves holes and definitely tc. I also wanted to ask if something I'm.doing is another bad habit (I know it contributes to the tight stitch). After every stitch is complete, I tug on my working yarn. I notice in tutorials people just do st after st after st but I'm always pausing to yank.on.it. I feel like if I don't, it will be sloppy. Oh and sometimes I even pull while completing steps of a stitch. For example, in dc after I pull through the first 2 lps, tug, yo, rem 2 lps, tug. :'(

About the pencil versus knife hold, there is no correct way, whatever is comfortable for you is right.

I only suggested it because you weren't sure that you were comfortable doing it whichever way you do it.

The longer stitches in crochet are supposed to be a little bit holey. You rarely get as smooth a fabric from crochet as knitting.

Usually dc leaves holes and definitely tc. I also wanted to ask if something I'm.doing is another bad habit (I know it contributes to the tight stitch). After every stitch is complete, I tug on my working yarn. I notice in tutorials people just do st after st after st but I'm always pausing to yank.on.it. I feel like if I don't, it will be sloppy. Oh and sometimes I even pull while completing steps of a stitch. For example, in dc after I pull through the first 2 lps, tug, yo, rem 2 lps, tug. :'(

dc and tr are supposed to have those holes.  It's the nature of the stitch.  There's no way around it - it's supposed to be that way.  If you want a fabric that doesn't have those holes you'll need to do either sc or slst designs.  You could also try linked dcs or the Elmore method.

No, you are not supposed to pull or tug at the end of every stitch or while making the stitch.  If you want tighter stitches then use a smaller hook.

It should not end up looking sloppy.  The body (or fluff of the yarn itself) fills in the stitch.  The fluffiness of the yarn (which you can see if you take a strand and pull it taught) is part of the look of the work. 

The loops that you work through and pull through should comfortably fit around the shaft of the hook the you're using. 

Y'all have all been so helpful! I'm going to take everything said in to consideration and hopefully break myself of these habits.

I've noticed that there are some standard "rules " to crochet that involve some math. For example, the rate u must increase to create a desired shape. Eventually, id like to design my own patterns. Is there a website anyone can direct me to that has a guide to these rules?

Thank you again! So glad I found this site!

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

This is a great site; it has tutorials on making a circle but not other shapes.  It's not all strict math as far as designing things, there are too many variables.  You'll need it to calculate gauge, for example sometimes I don't exactly 'hit' gauge on a garment, but I calculate the size I'd end up with at the end with my gauge, and might end up following the instructions for a size X and ending up with a perfectly fitting item that matches the measurements of a size Y, for example.

I think a good way to learn to make different shapes is to try different patterns, you will learn a lot of interesting techniques that way.  I've been crocheting for, erm, decades and I just finished a (vintage pattern) doily whose last 3 rows I was certain had errors because they seemed illogical (upon reading them), but the photo was fuzzy and I couldn't quite think of a way to 'fake it'.  So....I followed the directions...and ended up with a very unexpected and pretty dimensional border for the doily.  You learn something new every day!

Archived