Help with FPdtr

oliversdad89

Question

Hi everyone—

I'm new to this forum (and new to crocheting!)...I've started a new project and I am having some major difficulties understanding what the pattern wants me to do. The pattern (School Colors Blanket) is a free Red Heart project. The link is below.

I get stuck in Row 3:

Row 1 (right side):
Dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc
in each ch across; turn—20 dc.

Row 2:
Ch 2 (counts as dc here and
throughout), dc in each st across; turn.

Row 3:
Ch 2, dc in each of next 6 dc, skip next
3 dc, FPdtr around the post of next 3 dc, 2
rows below, working in front of posts sts just
made, FPdtr around the post of next 3 skipped
dc, skip 6 sts behind post sts just made, dc in each of last 7 sts; turn

I cannot for the life of me understand what I am meant to do after I complete the 6 dc. Skip three, FPdtr around the next three and then come back to the three I have skipped? If anybody could shed some light for me, I would be most appreciative! :D

I am including a photo for reference, as well as the link to the pattern!

Thanks again,

Adam

Pattern: http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3568.pdf

post-68170-0-59376400-1376971470_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook

do you know how to do a post stitch?  Nexstitch has good tutorials http://www.nexstitch.com/v_front_back_post_stitch.html shows post stitches, these are double crochet but your pattern calls for double triples which is a longer stitch.  also called double treble and there is a tutorial for that as well.

you are doing a post stitch into (or around) the post of a stitch that is 2 rows below.  normally we work with the preceding row; here you are going to stitch in to the row below that.  

OK, you are also doing cross stitches.  there is a tutorial for cross stitches on nexstitch too, under fancy stitches---not the same as what you 'll be doing but it should help give you the idea.  

All of this makes the X in the cable.  

Hi magiccrochetfan!

Thanks for your insight. I should have clarified that I am comfortable with the FPdtr stiches themselves, I just wasn't certain where these particular stiches needed to be placed—the skipping and coming back  (crossed cables) is where I was getting stuck :-) I've attempted it a few times, but was never really happy with the result. The tutorial you shared looks like it is going to be the help I need, so fingers crossed. I am going to tackle it again and share a question if I get stuck!

Thanks again for the help, I so appreciate it! :clap

Okay, I've attempted the first FPdtr stich, but I'm still uncertain as to what row I'm meant to be in—oh, how I wish there were semicolons in the pattern's steps! :reyes As you pointed out magiccrochetfan,

you are doing a post stitch into (or around) the post of a stitch that is 2 rows below.  normally we work with the preceding row; here you are going to stitch in to the row below that.

Does that apply to all 6 stiches? I attached a picture from the pattern above—the afghan is constructed strip by strip and a border is added afterwards. Maybe I'm wrong, but in the photo it looks like there is an empty row before you see the FPdtr stiches... :reyes

I've included two pictures of my attempts. The first one show the first FPdtr in the 2nd row, and the next shows my second attempt, where I've placed the FPdtr 2 rows below (1st row).

Any thoughts as to which is accurate?

Thanks again all!

post-68170-0-35503700-1377018228_thumb.jpeg

post-68170-0-37737400-1377018233_thumb.jpeg

the post stitches are made into the first row.  and that does apply to all 6 stitches in the cable.   in your first photo you can see the fpdtr is kind of buckled---it is too long for that space.  in the second photo it lies flat since it it the right length to cover the distance.  if you were doing the post sts into row 2 you would use a shorter stitch.  

also, just in case the next part is confusing to you or to anyone reading this:  the next part says "skip 6 sts behind post sts just made"  

and what that means is that by working into the stitches of row 1, you have the 6 stitches of row 2 left "unworked".  you want to be sure to leave them unworked, don't accidentally go back into those now.  

I know that this is an old thread however I found this topic while looking up help for the exact same project! I wanted to clarify what the instructions stated for Row 3. Is it saying to do FPdtr in the next 3 dcs, go back and do the 3 FPdtr stitches in the skipped dcs (which will be a total of 6), skip 6 sts and then do 7 dcs...? I'm sorry but I am fairly new to instructions like these! 

Yes, you've got it.  When you are doing a cable pay attention to whether you will be reaching in front or in back of stitches when it tells you (in row 3, the second set of 3 stitches is made in front of the first set).  The skipped stitches are the ones forming the cable, so the 7 DCs start in the first free stitch to the left of the first set of 3 post stitches.

Archived