Help will this be enough yarn?

Wendy 'Stubbs' Georgiou

Question

I have a question about filet crochet if anyone could help id be very grateful.

I want to make a lightweight single bed throw using 4ply yarn with a silhouette of Elvis Presleys Face for my mothers birthday, but im buying my yarn from ebay so i need to make sure i buy enough as there is a chance i may not be able to buy more if needed.

I have found some good deals i can get 1000g/1kg for around £15 and i was wondering would this be enough?

5 answers to this question

This is not sufficient information to answer your question. 

4ply may or may not mean the same thing - if you are working from a pattern, you will need to know how many yards/meters it calls for

And from the seller you will need to know how many yards/meters in their offering.

if you have a yarn on hand that you think is pretty similar to the one you want to buy, you could make a sample piece that is about 6 inches by 6 inches or so.  then weigh that using a digital scale to determine how much the sample used, and from there figure how much the whole project will need.

At the same time, it seems like a kilogram would have to be enough!  2.2 pounds seems like a lot to me.   

It also depends on how big the throw is. Most of the afghans I've made were maybe three feet by five and weighed between three and four and a half pounds, which would be 1.5 to 2 kg. If you have a kilo of the light color and a kilo of the dark, and they're more or less half of the chart each, you might be all right.

A kilogram is 2.2 US pounds.  I just finished a 3' x 4' crib blanket and used about 1.75 US pounds of aran weight yarn. 

Now granted, that was worsted/aran weight and a more solid pattern than filet .  I think since you're referencing £ you are meaning a much finer weight of yarn by 4 ply, fingering/sock weight yarn.  The lacier pattern and lighter weight yarn would cover more area.

Does your yarn mention yardage along with the kgms?  To go along with Magiccrochetfan's suggestion, if you don't have the means to weigh a sample swatch, you could make the swatch, rip it out and measure the yardage.  Then, figure out how many times the size of your swatch goes into the size of the blanket you want to make, and multiply that number by the yardage in your swatch. 

I think your mom will be tickled by your gift idea.  :)

Archived