Brand recommendation for large hooks?

aspire

Question

Hello friends!

I have a couple projects I want to make that call for large hook sizes like 11.5mm and 15.75mm. I like Susan Bates Silvalume hooks but I don't think they make large hooks in that style and material. Do you have a recommendation as to a good brand that makes decent large hooks?

Any thoughts or source redirections would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Cheers,
aspire

7 answers to this question

The largest hook I have is 15mm/Q, and I believe it is Susan Bates. I can't be certain on that but I am 99% sure. Since they're just plastic with no markings (and I don't keep the plastic packages they come in) I can't just look at them to know. I know I had to shop around for them though and try several craft stores, both chain and local stores, before finding them. Though if you can I'd suggest trying some local stores - even if they don't have them in stock, they can probably order them for you. 

ChiaGoo makes larger sizes, if you like bamboo hooks. I find they can be kind of "grabby" so I prefer other materials but I do have a couple from ChiaGoo that I like.They're not my favorites, but they see a fair amount of use. 

I think it's Red Heart that makes the Crystalite plastic hooks.  I don't care for them.  They snag the yarn and I just don't think they're smooth enough even with buffing and polishing them.

Bates makes the larger sizes in a white plastic that I think is a dream to work with.  It has a nice slide and I love the head on them. 

I rub all my hooks down with wax paper and I do that with these as well.  They're lightweight.  I have aluminum hooks in those sizes and they're just too heavy for my hands.

Having just gone thru a fair exhaustive search in prepartion for the release of Kim Guzman's new book on broomstick later this summer,

Basix (wood) has a 12mm

Denise (plastic) has a 12mm and 15mm tip

Twin Birch (wood) does an 11mm and 15mm

Bates Luxite (plastic) currently tops out at 11.5mm

Pony/Lion/Boye all have a P-10mm Plastic as well as a Q-15.75mm plastic

Once you get above 10mm, it is unlikely you will find metal hooks currently produced for all sorts of good reasons.

Some of the more custom hook makers may have more exotic woods.

I am with rosered can't stand the crystallites hooks.  Most all my larger hooks I can get in boye plastic I do and love them.  My M is metal and Joannes sensations brand when they had those out for a limited time.  The tip is similar to the boye tip as I can't stand the slanty tip on the susan bates hooks, they snag my yarn the way I crochet.  My smaller Q is plastic and by lion brand and I don't really care for it as the tip is too slanty so need to see if I can find that in another brand.  My S hook is susan bates and I have never had to use it and can't stand the tip on it.  Mary

Thank you everyone for the advice! I have investigated these hooks you've mentioned and I thinking mostly about the ChiaoGoo bamboo and the Susan Bates Luxite. I might just buy both and see which one I like better.

I also found a handy crochet hook review that offered a lot of insight on hook behavior and materials.

Has anyone worked with the other hooks mentioned on the review such as Addi, Clover, or HiyaHiya?

Thanks again for all your input! :)

aspire

Has anyone worked with the other hooks mentioned on the review such as Addi, Clover, or HiyaHiya?

I have not used any of those, however I do use Addi knitting needles. If the crochet hooks are anything like the knitting needles... be careful. You just may find yourself spending a small fortune on them and not willing to ever use anything else ever again. LOL My sister was kind enough to buy me a set of interchangeable needles, and in the same trip I also invested some of my own money in some fixed circulars from them and... I never use anything else now. I want to try their crochet hooks too, very badly, just as soon as I can save up money to buy several sizes in one go. 

I have not used any of those, however I do use Addi knitting needles. If the crochet hooks are anything like the knitting needles... be careful. You just may find yourself spending a small fortune on them and not willing to ever use anything else ever again. LOL My sister was kind enough to buy me a set of interchangeable needles, and in the same trip I also invested some of my own money in some fixed circulars from them and... I never use anything else now. I want to try their crochet hooks too, very badly, just as soon as I can save up money to buy several sizes in one go. 

Haha, I will keep this in mind. ;) Sometimes the small fortune is worth it if the hooks glide like magic. There's something to relish in that. I've spent small fortunes on bamboo double pointed knitting needles because for that reason. And I like to think that the price is an investment. If they keep working, the needles or the hooks will pay off for themselves eventually.

For an update: I bought a Susan Bates Luxite crochet hook in size P (on sale at Joann's! I think they're having a store anniversary sale now) and completed the project in a few days. It was an easy project and the hook worked decently well. I rubbed the hook with waxed paper as RoseRed mentioned and that worked nicely but sometimes my pinky and ring finger ached from anchoring the hook.

Do bamboo hooks tend to be lighter than plastic? Or about the same?  I assume they are lighter and smoother than plastic if they are like bamboo knitting needles.

Archived