Cardigan needs worsted wgt, I have double knit?

sovietpop

Question

I'm just getting back into crochet after a couple of years absence and want to make a cardigan. I found this fairly simple pattern, however, it calls for

Worsted weight yarn and the yarn I want to use is double knit (which I think is a bit lighter).

Here's the question;

Can I go ahead with this lighter wool?

if I do what should my guage be or should I try and stick to the original guage (would this be difficult)?

and if this is all too arkward, can anyone recommend me an alternative simple pattern that uses double knit?

cardigan

all suggestions much appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I hardly ever use the exact yarn a pattern calls for (I'm a rebel like that!) and even though my first attempt at a sweater was a disaster size-wize, I agree with the previous post. Check gauge and if you're too large or small, adjust it... For me I try to change my hooks if I need to check gauge, that way it's still the same amount of stitches... Good luck on your cardigan!

:think You really should match the hook to the yarn, not to the pattern.

:think If the pattern you like is in the worsted weight yarn, all you need to do is find a pattern in the DK yarn and use the number of stitches and rows from that, for your size.

:think You may need to fiddle a bit to fit your stitch pattern onto the number of starting chain but it is not too hard.

:cheer When you work it out, make a note of stitch numbers etc for future reference.

:clap Yell is you need any specific help.

Colleen

Archived