vintage afghan pattern

I am looking for an afghan pattern from 1980. It was pictured in an ad in the McCall's Needlecraft Magazine. The ad was for Du Pont Sayelle yarn. The pattern was for a Giant-block afghan accented with country-tweed Sayelle yarn of Orlon acrylic. Instructions to make this afghan could be purchased for Du Pant Product Information, Dept. GHS, Centre Road Building, Wilmington, Del. 19898 for $.50.

I know this is a long shot. thanks everyone.post-67686-0-79986800-1371416942_thumb.jpg

I don't have an afghan pattern, but I've seen hot pads and bath mats made with the zig-zag stitch used in that afghan block.

Here is how to make a hot pad square, perhaps you can figure out how to make a similar block for your afghan.

Here is a tutorial for wiggly crochet on Ravelry.  I'm not sure, but from looking at the picture of the afghan, you make the base as large as you want the afghan, then do the wiggly part in the shape of the square....or you could just make the squares and sew them together....

Hope this helps!

That would be an uncomfortable blanket.  I could see doing a rug in that technique; it would be extremely thick and heavy (as thick as a DC is tall).  I've made several hot pads (for setting a hot dish on a table) with that technique.  They are too thick (not to mention holey) for reasonable use as a pot holder (to take something out of the oven with).

Archived