Please Help. I think I have done something wrong

Chloe McArthur

Question

Hi, I am new to crochet and I am making a beanie for my daughter. It is made in continuous rounds 

round 7-8 is 60 hdc

round 9-16 1 hdc in each st around 

round 17 sc in each st (60)

My problem is that now that I am ready to do round 17 I have more then 60st, do I need to unravel it and start again?

If I was to do the round in sc I am afraid it won't join. :scrachin  :?  :oops 

Thank you in advance

4 answers to this question

Is this the last round? If so, the biggest issue would be if the hat fits or is it too big? If there is an edging, then you would need the proper number of stitches to work into.

Continuous rounds just about require using a stitch marker of some kind to be able to keep up with where the next round begins.

(next time) the safest thing to do would be to count each round at the crown of the hat when you are increasing, or at least every couple of rounds, so if you make an error you won't have to rip back so far. 

If you weren't increasing after round 7, you will likely have to rip back to before round 7 I'm afraid.

Greyhoundgrandma is right, (1) check the fit (2) using a marker is essential.  Markers don't have to be fancy, I use bobby pins (the tips are smooth, the pins are long and not likely to fall out, they're cheap). 

Regarding fit, this is an excellent tutorial.  The first rows that make the circle before you stop decreasing determine the fit. http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html  Scroll down to the diagram of the circle, where she explains the geometry.

Mummac, just wondering how many stitches you are off, if it is just a couple of stitches and the hat still fits, I'd try to just continue on. Or you could just take it back a few rows and work a few hdc decreases to get it to 60... I wouldn't do more than 3 or 4 decreases, here and there, or they will show.

Do you have a hook that is a size or two smaller than the one you used for the hat? Using a smaller hook for the edge might 'snug' it up, and may end up looking like you planned it that way.

Archived