Double Crochet Increase

Ali Bali Boo

Question

10 answers to this question

I'm making a fly bonnet (for horses) and so far I have managed to replicate the bonnet exactly but have come to another halt in production.

I can't double the stitches within the row as I need to make a seperate egde that sticks out, if that makes sense. I am currently at the ear hole, which is square, and I now need to close the side of the square.

I think I'm butchering my explaination.

If you want to extend the sides outwards on a 90 degree angle you would chain the length that you need and the work the pattern from there.

l = dc

o = chain

[ = edc, tr, dtr - whichever stitch you decide to use.  (I would make a swatch and see which one you like best)

[ [ [ [ [l l l l l l l l l l                 

l l l l loooo

l l l l l

Obviously, the chains won't make it's own row but it's the best visual I can think of at the moment.  It's a filet technique.

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

http://www.smartcrochet.com/lesson4_1.shtml

If you try to add enough increases to do that it'll end up curved instead of straight;

If you chain at the end of the row as Rose Red describes, you will end up making increases at the beginning of the next row.

If you want to increase at the end of the row, another way to make stitches 'into the air' uses foundation dc.  The last stitch in your row should be an extended dc (same stitch as foundation dc).  The filet tutorials above have you doing a dtr, which works just fine, but the foundation DC is a little tidier IMO.

Extended dc -

Foundation dc - 0-60 seconds 'reviews' the extended dc, after 60 seconds shows you how to make the next stitch 'into the air'.

The technique described by Granny Square is exactly what I was thinking, if you're looking to make a protruding piece at the end of a row, rather than an even increase across the whole row.  If you could even sort of draw what it is you're looking to do, we might be able to help a bit more.

Yup - you're right. 

This is me trying to be helpful with a splitting headache.  I'll edit that.

I'm relieved to see other people make mistakes!  It's so refreshing to know I'm not alone!

Archived