New Crochet'er' in need of pattern help.

Theresa Earp

Question

I am trying to crochet this pattern http://m.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Amigurumi/Blue-Bunny and I am having a couple issues. It is a continous round pattern.

1. I know that in many patterns the end meets with the beginning and that is where you start your next round. However, after a couple rounds (meeting up perfectly) I find my rounds start to increase in the amount of sitches between the beginning and end of the round. Afted the first 10 rounds (which is how far I have gotten before restarting a million times) the patter states that there should be ONLY 60 stitches, but I keep ending up with WAY more!

2. After about the 6/7 round I have noticed that it starts to ripple and won't lay flat.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? Am I not reading the pattern right? Please help. I am trying to make this for a friend who is expecting and I want it to be perfect!!

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

On rounds 1 to 10 you are adding 6 stitches every round.  I would stop and count after each round, be sure that round is right before starting the next one.  It will help if you mark the last stitch of the round so you don't accidentally go past it.  

You are making a rounded shape so it won't lie flat, but it should turn into a cup shape rather than ruffling.  

My first round project taught me the importance of using stitch markers.  I thought I could see where the round began, but apparantly I couldn't when I ended up with a pillow instead of a hat :eek:lol  Make sure you're marking either the first or last stitch consistently so you're sure your either starting or ending in the right place.  At the end of each round double check you counts.  Good luck :xfin

Yep, a safety pin in the round's first stitch is your friend. If you don't have one handy, a paper clip or twist tie will work--anything you can slide out and move up to the next row. You can buy pretty stitch markers made for crochet, too (make sure they open, because the closed ones are for knitting only!) I've been crocheting for fortymumble years and still use them.

Stitch markers are your friend.  They don't have to be fancy, I use bobby pins - you can get a pack of  ~50 at Walmart for less than $1.  I've been crocheting for, um, decades and always use them when working in the round.

Ha ha Becky -  we were typing at the same time - forty mumble years -yup, me too.

Archived