Question about outfits for 18" dolls

LI Roe

Question

I don't have any children  so I am not really in tune with doll sizes. I know there are the American Girl dolls and there are also what I would call a generic, for lack of a better word, (but just as cute) version of AG but also 18 inches. This is where my question comes in.

I have seen clothing and accessory patterns generously shared on Crochetville for 18 inch dolls. They are so cute and I would love to make them since I do have friends with little girls, some have AG dolls, some have the generic. I would like to surprise them so I really don't want to ask them.  Are the patterns for the 18 inch dolls suitable for the size of an AG girl and vice versa?? 

Thanks for any information you can provide. I know it sounds like a strange question (but then I am known for weird and strange questions, LOL) but I want to make sure that they will fit.

Happy crocheting.

LI Roe

4 answers to this question

I bought a Springfield doll with an AC Moore coupon for $10.   Some people have found them even cheaper second hand.  I make clothes for my nieces and charity for both the Springfield and the American Girl Dolls.  I buy patterns and use free ones.  I test them on my Springfield and I find if they fit the Springfield, they seem to fit the girls AG Dolls.  I recommend finding one for a model.  You can test out your creations on them.

I've made lots of Darski's 18" doll patterns for the Springfield and the AG dolls and not had an issue with them fitting the dolls.  As I've purchased some out of print patterns I've discovered some of them were designed for different body types.  I've discovered by working with the gauge by changing the hook size, using a different weight of yarn, etc. I can generally get those to fit, too.

If you search people have posted the measurements for the different dolls here.

My blog has lots of free pattern links if you are looking for more 18" patterns.

AG and 18" Crochet Pattern Links

my understanding is they are all really close in size.  Also, dolls of one brand manufactured at different times can be slightly different apparently.

If you google around for 18 inch doll measurements, you will find several charts; this one for example http://www.dollclothespatterns.net/doll-clothes-patterns/doll-clothes-patterns-that-fit-perfectly

and there are measurements for the Springfiled doll there too, topic in the right hand column.

My granddaughters have the AG dolls and have enjoyed things I made for them.  I finally bought a doll at Target, which I think/hope is really similar to the AG dolls, for fitting.  

I have only found one designer who's patterns seem a little small for the 18" dolls.  The rest seem to fit perfectly, now I may crochet tight, so that is why they seem tight.

I also recommend looking around and finding a cheap Springfield doll to try the outfits one, before you give them to someone.

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I thought they would be very similar in size but I wanted to make sure. I did see the Springfield Dolls in AC Moore so I will wait for a great coupon and get one. I am a kid at heart so it will be for me as well as the little ones that I can crochet clothes for their dolls.

I will be checking out the blogs too. Again, thanks so much. Knew I could count on the terrific members of Crochetville.

LI Roe

Archived