Double Loop Stitch

sstillwe@hotmail.com

Question

Hi group,

I have scoured the internet as well as this forum and have found no solution.  I am hoping that in all of the crocheters out there will have found some solution to this problem.  I am working on a double loop stitch.  Have no problems with the stitch itself.  The issue that I do have is that if you pull on a strand of yarn on one of the loops in double loop, it will pull the other loop out.  I have tried ensuring that the stitch is extremely tight.  The "tricks" with the loop stich of ensuring that you pull all 3 loops through doesn't apply here, and even if it did I have all 4 loops on the hook.  I am wondering if there is something "extra" that can be done to stop this from happening. 

Thanks in advance for your attention,

stacy

9 answers to this question

Sorry, I thought that the subject of double loop stitch explained what I was looking for ;-).  At any rate, the easiest way for a description is at the following link:

http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28870.aspx

About half way down the page it talks about the Double loop stitch.  In fact the same question was asked on that page without answer either.

I don't know either. All I can think is to keep your work away from pets and children, who are sure to pull on the loops.

I'm going to try to explain how I do the double loop stitch.  It seems to be locked in and doesn't pull out the way you are describing.  Start by inserting your hook in the stitch, and wrapping yarn twice around your finger, now insert the hook from the loop where your working yarn is coming from, toward your fingertip, then turn your hook down, and pull through the stitch, slide your finger out of the loop ,yarn over, and complete like a regular single crochet .  I'm left handed, so I hope I explained this clearly. ;)

I must confess I've never made a double loop stitch, just the single one.  The position of the yarn around the hook is critical, and is not exactly intuitive; if you don't do it the right way, as you said, the loops can be yanked out.

I found the illustration in this pattern (scroll down to the top of page 2 of this PDF pattern, it shows it clearly for the SINGLE version.  It appears to be the same instruction as the photos in the above link, but I think it shows the position of the hook a little better.  I hope this helps for the double. .http://botherthebirds.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xmastoppers.pdf

Thanks for the help on this.  I have not had this issue with the single loop stitch, and have reviewed the information from Granny Square and Susan, to no avail.  As granny square suggested, I have made sure that the hook position is the same, but I guess I am just missing something with thte double loop.  Alas, perhaps someone will have a suggestion at a future date that will make this all come together for me. 

Thanks again,

stacy

Hi group,

Well I have tried various things and have found a way to do this without the loops pulling out.  This is a bit more time consuming, and may not now be an actual "double loop stitch", but I thought I would share how I got around this problem.  Basically, I modified the stitch to be a hybrid of a single loop stitch and a double crochet.   Hopefully the following instructions will make sense, and assume that you are a) right handed and b) starting with the loop stitch row;

1)  Insert hook into first stitch

2)  Using the index finger on the left hand to control the loop size, hold yarn over finger behind work; hook both strands of loop just made, draw these two strands through stitch, so that you have 3 loops on the hook
3) yarn over the hook and draw through ONLY 2 loops, leaving one loop on hook.

4) Insert the hook into the same stitch again.

5) Repeat step 2.  There should now be 4 loops on the hook.

6)  Yarn over and pull through all 4 loops on the hook. 

"double loop" is now complete and the loops do not pull out.  As I said this does take more time, but for those of you that do not like your loops to pull out, this will work.

stacy

Archived