need help on pattern

childofgod31

Question

6 answers to this question

After your starting chain - Row 1 is the ®ight (S)ide of the project.  You start thos first row by putting a (S)ingle ©rochet in the second chain from the stitch your hook is currently inside.

Hope that helps

This took me years to figure out.  When I work from the starting chain I go through the single bump that is on the bottom, as I am making the chain.  From then on I go through both loops at the top unless the pattern says back loop or front loop only.

I recently started going throught the bottom bump all along the ch, which is slow, but leaves a beautiful, sturdier outside edge. Both of the top loops of the ch then make up the outside edge of your project. If it's an item that you won't be edging when you are all finished, your project will look good.

When I learned many decades ago, I was told (with the chain facing you) to go thru the top loop.  More recently I discovered that the very old (100 years +) vintage 'how to' books said the same thing.  It gives a lovely tension but looks more like a plait than a chain--nothing wrong with that, just different.

It wasn't until relatively recently that I found the 'back' bump, which makes the bottom edge look like the top BUT it pulls the chain tighter, is slower going, might be a little harder to find the back bump for a newbie, and the tightening up can be frustrating - using a bigger hook than the rest of the piece helps the latter.  I still use the top loop when making a swatch or don't care what the bottom looks like, it's just quicker.

I think if I were teaching someone, I'd teach the top loop method initially since it is less 'fiddly' in order to get the person started on the other stitches.  Then, once they got some swatches under their belt of sc, dc etc., I'd show the alternative back bump.

http://crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html  this is a great site.  I've linked to the menu of tutorials - look at How to Crochet - Getting Started Part 2.

Archived