Contract Crochet

I'm trying to start my new career as a contract crocheter. It was one of the reasons I joined CGOA and attained associate professional recognition. Is it really that hard to get started? I joined Ravelry test groups, self promote, follow designer blogs and it seems that it's a slow moving process.

I'm trying to start my new career as a contract crocheter. It was one of the reasons I joined CGOA and attained associate professional recognition. Is it really that hard to get started? I joined Ravelry test groups, self promote, follow designer blogs and it seems that it's a slow moving process.

I think a lot of people find work as a contract crocheter as a result of personal relationships they have with designers. If at all possible, I would encourage you to attend Professional Development Day at one of the Chain Link conferences this year. This gives you a great opportunity to meet a lot of professional designers personally and show them first-hand the quality of your work.

The test crocheter groups are much different from contract crochet. The test crocheters usually provide their services in exchange for a free copy of the pattern being tested. The designers using the tester groups usually aren't interested in paying contract crocheters.H

Have you posted anything on the CGOA Professionals yahoo group? Have you requested a mentor? Having an experienced contract crocheter as a mentor could be very helpful.

I want to attend one of the Professional Development Days at the Chain Link conference but can't beacause of family obligations.

I have requested a mentor when I joined CGOA for contract crochet but there are none. The contract crochet group on yahoo replaces a mentor.

I guess you're part of the yahoo group, right? I would suggest participating on that group as much as possible.

Also, be sure to fill out your profile on the CGOA website. You can mention that you're looking for contract crochet work, post about your experience and qualifications, and upload photos at demonstrate the quality of your work.

Just a word to the wise......

I would suggest that unless you have a exceptional relationship with a designer I would be very cautious.

I was tapped by a known designer to do contract work. Although my work was done exactly to their specifications per the contract, I only got paid for 1/2 of the amount agreed upon on the contract. I should add I have almost 50 years experience in crochet in many, many stitches, designs, etc.

I found it to be an awful and very disappointing experience all around. I would have never thought this designer would be so unprofessional. I have a hard time believing that I am not the only person who they took such advantage of in this way. You would think a contract IS a contract and all parties should be upholding their end..not so at all. I could've pursued it legally I suppose but certainly not worth the time and effort.

The experience has left me to be very cautious..I hope my experience helps you and others decide what's right for them.

Archived