Lion Brand Homespun

deanna6812

Question

Hi all,

I'm an avid crocheter, and recently bought some Lion Brand Homespun yarn on sale ($2.99/skein!).  It's the first time I'm using this yarn, and it's not the easiest yarn to work with, but it creates quite a soft product.  I'm working on a simple blanket to donate to the children's hospital, and just finished the first skein.  I'm noticing that the tail from when I started is quite frayed, likely just the nature of the yarn.

My concern is that when I weave in the ends of the yarn when I'm done, it will continue to fray when washed, and eventually unravel completely.  I'm not sure if there are any tips regarding this type of yarn, as I've never used it before.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Deanna

7 answers to this question

I love homespun yarn!  You are correct about it being difficult to work with though.  I love to make scarves with it and have made a few blankets with it also. While it does fray easily on the ends, I've found that once they are woven in I haven't had any problems with them fraying further.  Just make sure that you leave a long enough end and weave it in good.  I always make like an "S" shape, you know, go back and forth to weave it in. The throw on my couch has been through the wash many times and no fraying.  Good luck!  

I have used it  and I don't like it;  It just wasn't my favorite type of yarn;

it is hard to work with too ; I agree

I used a larger  needle than what it called for  it helped some ; but not much

Thanks, granny!  I almost threw in the towel after the first couple of rows, but after a bit, I got used to it.  I'm actually using a hook a size down from what is recommended (6.00mm instead of 6.5mm).  I did a sample with the 6.5 and found it too loose, so I went down to a 6, and it's not bad.  I catch the odd stitch, but now that I'm almost 20 rows in, I found my groove.

I have been leaving long tails (almost a foot, actually), more out of concern for the fraying, so I'm glad I did.  I'll just be sure to do a good job weaving them in, and hopefully all shall be fine.

You could always use a dab of flexible fabric glue to hold in the end. I've been doing that more and more for some of my items and it's been working well so far!

Archived