Cross stitch graph to crochet?

skatters

Question

Is it possible to convert a cross stitch graph to crochet? This site has a lot of free graphs free source if people are interested - tons and tons of graphs, just click on the different "free" categories on the left. http://passionbroderie77.over-blog.com/5-categorie-12030246.html

So my next question is, How would you enlarge a graph to make a full size throw/afghan? I thought about making each graph block stand for two sc stitches, but I am not sure how that would translate to vertical stitches? 

Anyone have any pointers?  I am not unfamiliar with graphs, I just haven't tried a cross stitch graph. 

Thanks!! 

4 answers to this question

If you wanted to turn 1 graph block into multiple sc stitches, you'd have to double the rows.  In other words, for your idea of 1 block to 2 scs, you'd really need to do 4 scs, 2 on top of 2 to keep it square.

like this

xx

xx

However, you'd end up with a very pixillated picture that would be hard to visualuze without standing across the room. 

Cross stitches in thread are much tinier blocks than sc stitches in yarn.  What I would do is take the hook and yarn to be used for the blanket and make a swatch.  How many stitches to make 4"?  Let's pretend you have 18 sts across 4".  That's 4.5 stitches per inch. 

I just looked at the first graph that came up at your link, which was 80 stitches across.  That works out to nearly 18" across in yarn.  I think it might look nicer, rather than blowing up 1 owl to fill the blanket, would be to have 1 owl in the middle and a wide border around, or maybe a couple of stripes of owls with plain stripes between.

Another way to 'grow' the picture -- work with a bigger hook, or 2 strands together (and a much bigger hook),

Well, it's already broken down for 100x100, which is a decent size.  I'd just add an equal number of stitches on either side of your solid color as well as the top and bottom rows.

Remember to read your graph alternating your rows from left to right and right to left :wink

Archived