My crochet keeps twisting/curling....

AnnabelleBella

Question

Hi!

I've made collars before, so this time I thought it would be no different. I'm using an 8ply cleckheaton red wool and a 4.25mm hook (it reccommends 4.00mm but I don't have one). I've never used this wool before.

The foundation chain contains 67 stitches, and for some reason every time I try my chain twists/curls/spirals. This has never happened before, and i've experimented with different hooks and tensions and always get the same result - twisted and frustrating.

I've even tried using a bigger hook for the foundation chain and a smaller for the rest, and that didn't work.

Could the wool that I'm using be a problem?? It seems to me like a rather thick 8ply, but I would have thought the thicker hook would solve the problem in that case.

HELP!!

Thanks guys :)

8 answers to this question

It sounds to me like your tension may be too tight, so maybe you need an even bigger hook for the chain. a really springy wool can be hard to crochet with, I find.

Also, does the whole thing curl once you have done a few rows? did you try wet blocking it? it may be fine once blocked.

You might want to investigate the twist of the yarn, there are Z and S twist yarns. Here is a blog entry by designer Doris Chan http://dorischancrochet.com/2011/12/15/the-crochet-twist/

and if you google you can find other articles.

Just throwing that out as a possibility, twist is not something i have ever had an issue with.

@alohadave, no it's not just the foundation chain, the whole thing curls and when I try to lay it flat it ends up with a ruffle. I may just switch wools but it's a shame because I really like the colour!

@magiccrochetfan, I've tried using bigger hooks, but it messes up the gage. I might give it another go!

And ove never heard of wet blocking, so I can't.say I've tried it

:P

Thanks for the link I'll check it out now :)

Blocking is just taking the piece of crochet and thoroughly wetting it, then gently squeezing out all the water you can, then laying it out flat to dry. Gently pat it into the shape you want it to have. When it is dry it will probably look noticeably different than it does now.

A long time ago, I had yarn that kept twisting up way too much, even though my hook was fine, my gauge was fine, etc.

My solution was to rip it all out and start over using the other end of the yarn. Maybe this would work for you. If you are using a center pull skein tail, switch and use the tail that's on the outside of the skein. Or vice versa.

It seemed that the twist of the yarn plies were in opposition to the winding of the skein, or something odd like that.

At any rate, switching yarn tails worked.

@alohadave, no it's not just the foundation chain, the whole thing curls and when I try to lay it flat it ends up with a ruffle. I may just switch wools but it's a shame because I really like the colour!

I'm working on a scarf ATM that is worked lengthwise (200 stitches), and I was having a similar problem. I got through several rows that were puckering like a ruffle until I had three flat rows.

I had gotten the tension even on those last three rows, and that part laid flat and even. I frogged the whole thing (besides the starting row) and started over, and I haven't had a problem with ruffling on it since.

Archived