Help with Slipper boots

Julie252

Question

Hello all! I'm relatively new to crochet. I've made several simple items and am attempting to make a slipper boot (Bernat pattern). I made the sole. Then i made the toe and left side and fastened off. Now I need to join the yarn to make the right side. Not sure how best to do this. Here are the directions for this step:

Right side: With RS facing join yarn with sl st to rem 8 (8- 9-9-10) sc.

1st row: (RS). Ch 1. Sc2tog over same sc as last sl st and next sc. 1 sc in each sc to end of row. Turn.

2nd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each sc to end of row. Turn.

Rep last 2 rows 1 (1-1-1-2) time(s) more. 5 (5-6-6-6) sts. Work from ** to ** as given for Left side.

Sew center back seam.

:think Not sure about: what side to start slipstitching on yarn (center or edge), not sure how stitch count starts at 8 and sc2rog twice to equal 5 stitches at the end of this section. I feel like I want to start on wrong side slip stitching from center.....

Any advice for a newbie is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Julie

post-65616-135897795524_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

:welcome Julie

Well, if your picture is showing the right side, and based on the given instructions I think it is :think You would want to attach the yarn in the center from this side and work toward the edge. My reasoning is that your decrese stitches for the other side are on the center edge and that would keep it symmetrical.

Although, with these directions and after completing the rows given, you should have 6 stitches across I think. I'm not sure what the instructions were for the left side that follows, but I would would work it so that it is symmetrical with the left side.

I don't know how helpful this is, but it's all I have :lol Hopefully some others can add extra insight for you :xfin

I must say though that your stitches are nice and even :clap

for the first size you will attatch yarn by sl st in the free sc next to your red arrow and sc that st and the next sc tog., then sc the rest of the sc across which will give you 7 sc, turn ch1 sc those 7 sc across, turn ch1 sc first 2 sc tog sc across which will be 6, turn ch 1 sc the 6 across turn ch1 sc first 2 tog. sc across which will be 5, then work rows even the number to correspond to the other side.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/slipper-boots.html  Linking so people can see the pattern.  

So, you have made the sole.  You've made the part that covers the top of the foot, which starts at the toe and divides into 2 halves, like the photo in post 1 but there should be a left half as well, so it will look like a V.  The next step is to fold in half and sew the back seam together, which is the narrow top part of the V, which is 5 or 6 depending on the size you're making.  The next part will be to crochet the leg, which you notice in the directions will now be in rounds, not rows; this will be around the inside part of the V.  The outside will be where you eventually attach the sole to the rest of it.

Edit, a crude sketch - the black arrows show where the back seam gets sewn together, the red circle is where you will be working in the round for the leg.

slipper boot top.jpg

Archived