Need Yarn Suggestions for a Project

sandra2469

I've been asked to make this cape.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hooded-cape

The person who is requesting it lives in an area where it doesn't get cold too often, so I'm trying to find a yarn that is bulky weight that doesn't stretch much (ideally very little stretch) & that washes well - even if that means handwashing/blocking to dry.

I don't mind paying more for the yarn if the quality is there.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I don't know of any way a cape that calls for bulky weight could be made and not be too hot for a fair weather area.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to let everyone know what we decided to go with for the yarn...

Berroco Comfort Chunky (50% superfine nylon & 50% superfine acrylic)

I grew increasingly concerned that natural fibers would stretch out too much with the weight of the cape over time. She didn't have any particular yarn allergies, so that opened my options up quite a bit. She was adamant that it be a soft yarn, so I quickly dropped most of the 100% acrylics off my list - there are a few that I've been ok with, but most of them end up too scratchy over time.

I'd used the comfort chunky in a scarf and it had held up nicely over repeated washings. It was still extremely soft, and the color didn't fade out (although the wearer is diligent with laundry, so that's probably a huge factor in it).

Most importantly, I don't have the doubts that it'll "grow" or stretch over time. Both nylon and acrylic retain their stitch definition pretty well, provided they aren't washed in hot water or dried in a super heated dryer. I gave her care instructions up front to make sure she would know what she was getting into.

Anyway...enough talk...I'm off to finish up last minute Christmas gifts & then the cape awaits me as soon as the gifts are finished & wrapped up!

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate it!

Archived