Help with crochet stitch?

carolinekjens

Question

My great grandmother made these pot holders as shower and wedding gifts. They are something of a family heirloom now. I am trying to replicate them (she never wrote down her pattern and no one ever asked) and I've figured out the pattern - I just can't figure out what stitch she used. It's not regular single crochet - single crochet doesn't make the perfect little squares that line up so nicely. I've tried other stitches and looked everywhere online. Can anyone help? Thanks so much!

Caroline

PS. Sorry the photo is fuzzy. If you think you can help I can take a new one and email it to you!

post-64113-135897783771_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Does your camera has a little icon of a flower or a tulip? That's macro mode and it's made for taking clear close up shots. Also, if you could take another picture across the top so the stitches are right side up - that could be helpful.

I've seen it before but I don't know the name of it.

post-14620-135897783832_thumb.jpgIt looks like it is a split single crochet. Instead of just going under the top loops, you put the hook through the center of the previous V of the stitch, as shown in the diagram.

I know it has been a long time, but I finally figured this out!  It is plain old single crochet, but instead of yarning over she would hook over - bring the hook over the yarn and pull it through.  I never thought it would make a difference but it does.  

How do you hook over, guess I just can't visualize it.  Mary

I can't really picture it either. I happen to have some thread and a hook in front of me, with an in-progress doily... I just tried it over a few stitches of my doily just to see. I THINK you just catch the yarn from under the hook, as opposed to over it. I didn't really get a good test run with it over such a small number of stitches but it seemed to be right. I'm going to have to get out some yarn and try this out tomorrow when I can do a proper test. 

Archived