Question about hook size

LanetteG

Question

I saw a scarf in the book Celebrity Scarves that was knitted (of course, but I won't go into my total lack of coordination for that:blush ) they used several different kinds of yarn and made stripes. My question is do I pick a hook size and stick with it all the way thru, or do I change for each kind of yarn. I found all sorts of shades of denim blue in Homespun, Divine, Amore, Joann's Willow, and some new stuff from Pattons(that's not exactly the right color, but it's blue) I think it's called sparkle. I may just end up using the willow for fringe. What do you think?

:ty

4 answers to this question

Now, I am relatively new to this so I may be completely off base here...but if you went down the length of the scarf in stripes instead of back and forth like a typewriter...couldn't you use a larger size hook for the whole thing and then end up with various textures and tightness and looseness without making the ends awful? Maybe start and finish with a yarn that works solidly with the hook you choose?

I'm really wanting a scarf with the stripes going width wise instead of length wise. I just have an image in my head and I won't be happy till I try it and get too frustrated and scrap it or get it the way I want.

Thanks for the tip about the index card. How did you know I was blonde thru and thru:blush and can't even remember where my car keys are let alone what hook I used!:wink

Archived