New LYS and Old patterns

Hello all... I earlier wrote about a new yarn shop opening up in town. Well today I broke down and went to see them. I wasn't sure about going because the fabric shop that is owned by the same people has some mean workers. Anyways, so this place is nice, very knit:knit -centric but has LOTS of very very yummy :drool yarn. They had wool silk blends, alpaca, wool, silk, cotton, some aycrlic novelty stuff. The had Irish yarns, British yarns, yarns from Japan, yarns from some South American countries, and what blew me away locally made yarns. The yarns are very very nice and they allow yarn petting, but they are out of my price league (and my abilities). The shop was topped off by several small sitting areas, a coffee shop, and even a child's play area. Just wanted to report on my little LYS find. I did purchase a crown:king pattern that I have been searching for a while.

Next I went to the local Goodwill. I picked up a leisure arts leaflet for several afghans to include some mile a minute patterns for $0.50. I then picked up a Bucilla booklet (63 pages) copyrighted 1968 for a giant $1! Some of the patterns are fabulous and and so very classic. I then picked up a Bernat booklet (53 pages) copyrighted 1951 with still more cute classic patterns for another $1! I also got a booklet (23 pages) of potholders and the best part is they also have recipes in the booklet for another $1. Oh so many patterns so little time.

Elizabeth

I am really excited about the patterns and just had to share. The booklets are all in really great shape considering their age. No dog eared corners, no tape holding the pages together, no missing pages. Granted they are for baby items for the most part, but that is the best part baby items very rarely go out of style. Cute is always in.

The really funny thing is that I paid more for them than they are originally marked. The small potholder/recipe book was printed with the price on it. 10 cents!!!! But it was a 1947 dime so I guess 1$ isn't that bad.

The Bernat book was printed with the price of 0.75$!!!! Then again it was1951.

:hook

Elizabeth

I am soooo jealous!!! I always hear about people finding the booklets and the like in their local thrift and/or goodwill stores, but I am in mine at least once a week and I never find anything like that. I wonder if people in Indiana just hang on to their old patterns.

The only time I've had a good find like that is when the library had a book sale and I found that if you don't get there early, there won't be any left!!!!!

:woo Great haul!

Another great place to look for vintage patterns, thread, etc. is antique stores, especially those antique malls that have stuff from tons of different vendors there. "Antiques" makes it sound like it would be terribly expensive, but even at stores selling antique furniture for $500 or more, I've seen inexpensive magazines and leaflets and so on. In the recent past I've found an issue of Magic Crochet (or is it Crochet Magic? I always get the title mixed up!) from the 1980s for $1 (not an antique, but full of snowflake patterns which I was very excited about), a stack of Workbaskets from the fifties for $2 each (I only bought one, though it was hard not to scoop them all up!), tatting thread for 25 cents a ball at one place and $5 for a big bag at another, and last week DH found me a positively gigantic spool of thread for $2, all from antique stores...

I would have never thought of antique stores... I do know that I pick up tea cups and tea pots for my SIL there. I had to really think about these patterns before I purchased them... I just couldn't resist them. I will most likely copy the patterns for use and put the books up for safe keeping. The only thing that has me a little worried is the fact they call for bone hooks or a specific type of yarn. I will have to do some research before diving into the pattern.

Elizabeth

That's what I'm doing with the 50-year-old Workbasket that I got since it's a little fragile. I started typing up the patterns, actually, so as not to have to take it to Staples and pay to photocopy (though now that I'm going to all that work I'm tempted to photocopy instead!). Then I'll have a copy to work from that I won't be worried about getting all wrinkled or anything (my cats are especially fond of wandering around on my projects and patterns), and I can keep the magazine stored safely. I worried briefly about the copyright thing, but then decided that since it's just for my use it's probably okay...

I am not a pro on copyright stuff... I tried to read up on it and it is really confusing:think . I did read that if you are truly making the copies for yourself then write personal copy on top of the pattern (the copied one). I wasn't going to spend the $$ at Kinkos or the like. I was going to visit my BF at work and oh darn have some things in the car that needs copying. I then put things in a three ring binder, but I am running out of room in that binder and will have to upgrade soon to a larger size. :hook So many patterns so little time.

Elizabeth

Archived