perigrine

Question

:thair

:bang

:rant

:yell

:grumpy

:fire

grrrrrrr..I am on row 9. I have checked and rechecked row 8, and stuffed if I can see where to find the 4th dc to do this "(2dc, ch 1, 2dc) in V-stitch, ch

1, dc in each of next 4 dc, dc in ch-1 space."

Are the sections on each side of the 'shell in shells' meant to be out of whack? not even? like I have starting V stitch on row 9 - > \/_|||||_\\//_|||_\\\///_|||_\\// - die

*scrubs out that quote in my sig

4 answers to this question

okay you're talking about the second half of a side, where you're coming up to the shell-in-shell at point or to the end of the row, right?

(2dc, ch 1, 2dc) in V-stitch is into the ch2 space of the previous row, not strictly speaking a V-stitch

the shell-in-shell at the side and the shell-in-shell at the point are separated by the (2dc, ch 1, 2dc) like this:

\\\--///-|||-\\-//-|||||-\\\--///

the 3 dc will stay the same from now on, separating the shells. the 5 dc are where you do the increases (the extra dc into the ch1 space), i.e. where the new shells will grow - when they reach 7 stitches you divide the centre stitch into a V and grow a new shell as you're doing with the (2dc, ch 1, 2dc) in this row.

i hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you even more!

the best advice i got with the seraphina was to look closely at the pics - maybe have a look at the pics further along so you get a better idea of the sequence, of where you need to end up. once you get it it really is a lovely logical pattern.

lol edited cos i drew the wrong row :) and to say, yes your picture is right, just incomplete, you need the ch1, 5 dc, ch1 shell-in-shell at point at the end. the rows are symmetrical around the middle shell-in-shell, if you count the beginning V-stitch and the shell-in-shell at point as the same.

edited again to show the sequence, this really is all you need to know as wherever you have a completed shell it will always stay the same, separated by 3 dc.

\\\--///-|||-\\-//-|||||-\\\--///

\\\--///-|||-\\--//-||||||-\\\--///

\\\--///-|||-\\\--///-|||\-/|||-\\\--/// shell in shell now complete, V stitch for new shell sequence

\\\--///-|||-\\\--///-|||-\--/-||||-\\\--///

\\\--///-|||-\\\--///-|||-\\-//-|||||-\\\--/// now we're back to the beginning

so all you have to remember is to grow the shell the right amount and add that increase dc into the ch1 space before the shell-in-shell at point and the final V stitch.

I recently finished my first Serafina and had the same issues you did at the beginning. The single best piece of advice I can give on this shawl is to pretty much ignore the written instructions and go by the pictures. There are several errors in the written instructions that will mess you up totally if you try relying on them, although one of the ladies on this board did do a revised version of them (I've forgotten who that was :( anyone remember?). The pictures, and Superfurry's diagram above, are your best resource to help make it clear; once you do a couple of repeats the pattern becomes very obvious and you won't need either, once I got past the first part of the shawl the pattern was repetitive enough that I did the rest at work, while on calls ;)

it works! it works! :cheer

its going great now. But I don't think I should of been working on it while having a great old time at a friends house...I think I buggered the count up somewhere, but who cares? the ||| things are all lining up, even if the next increases don't start in the same row. I like it enough as it is not to frog it and undo yards and yards of stitches.

Superfurry's instructions are much clearer here "when they reach 7 stitches you divide the centre stitch into a V and grow a new shell" than trying to work out the pattern as written. Thanks!:clap

Archived