Threads of Compassion

nellplucy

I am new to this board, (and to crocheting, compared to most of you), but I wanted to inform members about a new group that has started.

It's called Threads of Compassion, and the goal of the group is to provide support for victims of sexual assault or abuse. It's easier for me to describe the group by pulling off a part of the webpage:

"Threads of Compassion is a loosely connected group of survivors of sexual violence who desire to offer comfort and support to recent victims. The idea is simple. Any survivor of sexual assault or abuse is welcome to knit or crochet a scarf which in turn will be given to an assault or abuse victim when they enter the hospital for emergency treatment.

Having been through similar experiences ourselves, our hope is to offer support at a time when a person is feeling most forsaken, fearful, and vulnerable and in a simple way let them know they are not alone. The scarves are tangible objects that can be held, wrapped around the neck or shoulders, with the deeper meaning known only by the wearer. The scarves represent a couple of things. One, that the victim is not alone. The second is hope. The knowledge that other people have been able to move forward after facing similar situations, can in turn give the victims hope that they also will find the strength to move on.

The added beauty of the scarves is that the gift is actually two-fold. Through making the scarves, survivors are provided an opportunity of helping other victims (in a very non-threatening way). Everyone remains anonymous. Those who knit the scarves never meet the specific person who receives their scarf. That is all handled through the local rape crisis center. Most hospitals now contact victim advocates when sexual violence victims come into the ER, and it is through this staff that the scarves will be presented to the victims. Each scarf will have a small card attached to it that explains the idea behind Threads of Compassion and information on how to contact their local crisis center if they need further help or support."

The website address is: http://threadsofcompassion.bravehost.com/

If you would like to contribute a scarf I would be thrilled. The information about where to send the scarves, etc. is on the website.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm new at all this and just wanted to let people know about this group. Please feel free to send this information on to anyone else you think might be interested. I'll be back on the board with questions about my crocheting projects as soon as I'm brave enough to admit my novice skill in front of others.

Until then I will lurk and learn!

Thanks again.

nellplucy

That's a really great cause to crochet for.

I have so many friends who have been effected in one way or another by this type of violence :(

I wonder if perhaps a shawl or poncho might be welcome as well as scarves? Being that they wrap around the shoulders...kind of like a caring hug from someone who wants to comfort them? Just a thought.

I'll post about this on the One Small Thing blog and hopefully generate some more interest for you. Very worthy cause to crochet for.

Keep up the great work!

Ro

Yes, shawls would be equally welcome...they just take longer to make than scarves, so that's why we started with the idea of scarves.

Thank you so much for your support with this idea. I'm very excited about it, but I'm also very new in getting this group started. I've gotten a lot of support from a local rape crisis center, so now my main problem is getting scarves made...that's why I'm placing the info out to anyone I can.

On a more personally level, I am currently teaching myself to crochet...well let me say attempt to teach myself to crochet. I love knitting, and wanted to learn to crochet, but so far this has proven to be a more elusive skill than I thought it would be. Any tips on would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Nell

That's a really great cause to crochet for.

I have so many friends who have been effected in one way or another by this type of violence :(

I wonder if perhaps a shawl or poncho might be welcome as well as scarves? Being that they wrap around the shoulders...kind of like a caring hug from someone who wants to comfort them? Just a thought.

I'll post about this on the One Small Thing blog and hopefully generate some more interest for you. Very worthy cause to crochet for.

Keep up the great work!

Ro

I'm glad you are excited about this project too. If you do start up a group in your area would you please let me know where you are. I just like to have an idea of how many areas are starting up groups. 4 other people have told me they would like to start up groups in locations from Louisianna to Toronto.

Good Luck,

Nell

I'm going to see if our local rape crisis center is willing or has it. Thank you for the link.

Nell,

In learning to crochet I recommend the "I taught myself to Crochet!" set by Boye. You can get it at Michael's. If you can get it with a 40% off coupon you can get it for about six dollars. I used that and the little film clips at Stitchguide.com to teach myself three years ago.

I did post about the site on my One Small Thing blog and I hope it generates some interest for you. Since the group only accepts items made by survivors, that may cut down on the number of donations you get though I totally understand why they would stipulate that.

Good luck!

Ro

Ok, I bought the set at Michaels...now between the set, and the internet sites, and friends who crochet, maybe I'll just learn how to do this. I'm told all the time it's not that hard, but so far all I was able to make was a tangled mess!!! I'm going to try out my new crochet set tomorrow.

Thanks for posting the info for my site on your blog. I'm considering changing the requirement for making a scarf from actually being a survivor, to anyone whose lives have been affected by sexual abuse or assault. (Scarves could be done in honor of friends who were raped, family members who suffered abuse, or simply as a symbol of fighting back against sexual violence done to the woman of Dufar in the Sudan, etc.). I spoke with two other people today who wanted to make the scarves who were not survivors. And I really did not want to tell them they couldn't. Anyone who wants to help should be welcome.

Figuring out all the kinks in hosting this group is just beginning, and I'm sure I'll be fixing more as I go.

Thanks again for your support,

nell

Nell,

In learning to crochet I recommend the "I taught myself to Crochet!" set by Boye. You can get it at Michael's. If you can get it with a 40% off coupon you can get it for about six dollars. I used that and the little film clips at Stitchguide.com to teach myself three years ago.

I did post about the site on my One Small Thing blog and I hope it generates some interest for you. Since the group only accepts items made by survivors, that may cut down on the number of donations you get though I totally understand why they would stipulate that.

Good luck!

Ro

(((((Nell))))) I know what you mean about working the kinks out as you get your feet wet with these charity things...been there, done that!

If you get stuck in say translating a pattern or something feel free to email me, I'll help if I can.

I have found that violence has such a ripple effect, that is why so many people want to help and donate to your cause. Seeing the pain that my sisters, my friends, so so many women that I know have been through...and survivors of all kinds of domestic violence, emotional, physical, all have those threads that tie them together...I'm rambling sorry what I'm trying to say is that I bet if you make a provision for people to tag their items with a note saying whether they or someone they love was effected by the violence, then the recipient will feel that love and know that it's not just coming from a stranger who is making things for the sake of making them; that it's a gift of love for them because of what they've been through.

Hope that makes sense. What you're doing is wonderful, and I will continue to direct people to you as much as I can.

hugs

Ro

If anyone is interested in finding a local place to donate scarves or shawls for survivors of domestic violence please let me know and I can put you in touch with a local representative for the Shelias Shawls and Pauls Scarves project, which is supported by the Silent Witness project.

This program provides prayer/comfort shawls to survivors of domestic violence as well as shawls and scarves for the family members of dv victims.

I have found that violence has such a ripple effect, that is why so many people want to help and donate to your cause. Seeing the pain that my sisters, my friends, so so many women that I know have been through...and survivors of all kinds of domestic violence, emotional, physical, all have those threads that tie them together...I'm rambling sorry what I'm trying to say is that I bet if you make a provision for people to tag their items with a note saying whether they or someone they love was effected by the violence, then the recipient will feel that love and know that it's not just coming from a stranger who is making things for the sake of making them; that it's a gift of love for them because of what they've been through.

Ro

Your words express exactly what I want the scarves to comunicate. Threads of Compassion is a dream I have to offer a small amount of comfort and support to people who have been the victims of sexual violence. When I was 17, three friends and I were raped. In order to deal with it, I closed myself off to everyone around me. I had no idea of the support I truly needed. I guess part of my hope is to offer to others some of the support I wish my friends and I had received. So many people are lost in how to respond to friends and family that have been victims of sexual abuse and assault...so they opt to say and do nothing. Their fear of adding more pain by saying or doing the wrong thing results in silence. This silence is heartbreaking to the victim...a silence that offers no validation to the pain they are feeling. The silence produces shame.

So I guess one of the main thoughts behind Threads of Compassion is to acknowledge this pain. The gift of these scarves not only says someone was thinking of victim, but also expresses the knitters/crocheters sorrow for what has happened. Each scarf is made by someone who wishes to provide a small amount of comfort against the pain being faced, and by doing so lets the victim know they are not alone. As each victim then touches the threads of the scarves they receive, they are connecting with someone who not only cares about what has happened to them but who also wants to show their concern. A huge message given through a few threads of yarn.

Anyway, just a few ramblings about the idea behind Threads of Compassion. I have now changed the website to say that we now take scarves from survivors and those whose lives have been affected by assault or abuse. Hopefully this will let people know that everyone is welcome to make a scarf.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this idea. It's quite a thing to see your dream get legs and walk around.

Nell

Threads of Compassion

http://threadsofcompassion.bravehost.com/

Archived