damomma

rug yarn?

Question

Hi all;

Once again I need your help. I'm looking for a rayon/cotton blend rug yarn. I understand that Aunt Lidya's is no longer available. I'm looking for a reasonable substitute to crochet some pot holders. Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing. I've looked at all my local craft stores, but all they seem to have is wool. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance. Maggie:think

4 answers to this question

Check out ebay as there are a couple of listings for some of this discontinued yarn. However, it is best to use cotton yarn such as peaches 'n cream or sugar 'n cream to make pot holders, trivets, washcloths etc.

I still have a few scraps of the old Aunt Lydia's, it was only slightly heavier than sugar or peaches & cream, so 'the creams' would be a fine substitute for washcloths or potholders.

Wool is even better than cotton for potholders actually, wool has a higher heat tolerance and even more so after it gets thicker when it felts. But tends to be pricier than cotton.

I used to use the old rug yarn too. It wore like iron. Now I use worsted weight cotton.