Fun fur vs other ones

To all who like to work with eyelash stuff. As we all know Lion Brand makes Fun Fur. Red Heart calls it Foxy, and others call it eyelash. They all work up about the same way. One huge diff is the price and get this, the yardage. Lion Brand is the least amount. Red Heart has about 20 yards more per roll,and that it a lot more in my book. So FYI when making a choice, check the yardage on pkg, you will be surprised.

I read the yardage info on the Bernat's Disco freebie yarn and was surprised how little yardage there is in one skein. Will be very interesting to see how far it goes when I use it. I am thinking about using it only for edging on the pieces I crochet, because of that limited yardage.

I ran into a similar problem yesterday with Microspun. It is advertised as being 2.5 ounces. I am making a scarf without a clearcut pattern in mind using 2 colors, so I thought I would just find the center of each skein and make a slip knot at that point, then let my imagination make a 2 color design until I got to the halfway mark and then reverse the design until I got to the other end. Using my postal scale, which is pretty accurate, I found that both skeins only weighed 2.3 ounces each. Now I wonder if their quoted yardage is correct. Not a problem with my scarf, but if I were making something large, it could make a difference.

It also irritates me when a skein tells you how many ounces, but does not tell you yardage. Makes it difficult to substitute the yarn for another unless I do some research online.

I agree. It's crazy how they charge you so much money for a tiny little bit of yarn. I don't use fun fur or the new yarns too much because I can't afford it, but when I need it, I look for the sales and try to use a 40% off coupon. (Michaels, Jo-Anns and The Rag Shop always have them in the Sunday papers.)

My mother-in-law-to-be (yeah, made that one up myself) spent the summer making fun fur flip-flops, and found that she was the most pleased with the furry stuff she ordered off of Knit Picks. The shipping can be a little on the slow side, but wow is it worth the savings! Too bad Target wasn't offering their $1 version then. . . .

My mother-in-law-to-be (yeah, made that one up myself) spent the summer making fun fur flip-flops, and found that she was the most pleased with the furry stuff she ordered off of Knit Picks. The shipping can be a little on the slow side, but wow is it worth the savings! Too bad Target wasn't offering their $1 version then. . . .

I took a look at the $1 yarn at Target. i didn't think the quality was very good and thought that for any project, you'd need several skeins. At which point, wouldn't you be better off going to a craft store or LYS and buying a larger skein. I mean, what's the savings if you buy six tiny skeins of low quality yarn at Target or one skein of better quality for $5 at Joann's or Michael's, especially if you use your coupon? :think

Archived