Help with Swan design

jruetten

Question

I am using the swan part of this pattern only:

http://www.bellacrochet.com/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&cPath=5&products_id=19

I am having problems with the body and working round 1. This is what it reads:

With white (ch 3, dc in 3rd ch from hook) 6 times, ch 7, sl st in 7th ch from hook (Foundation of 7 ch-sps made); (sl st, ch 3, 3 dc) in second ch sp of Foundation, 4 dc in each of the next 4 ch sps, 11 dc in ch sp at end of Foundation (Front of Swan), 4 dc in each of next 5 ch sps, (dc, 11 tr, dc) in last ch sp (Tail end), join with sl st in top of ch-3

My problem is that I seem to have two separate sections. I understand up to the ch 7, but then the ch 7 portion seems out of place. It seems like it should be sl st into something because it just seems to hang off of the first section.

Any ideas on this? I am trying to finish the swan by December 18th. The rest of it has been fine so far.

Thanks for any help - Jennifer

7 answers to this question

When you do the ch 7, next you slip st into the 7th chain from hook....that should make a loop. So you should then have a " foundation" of 7 chain spaces, or loops. But the next part of the directions seem to call for a greater number of chain spaces. :think

Did you try contacting the designer?

PS, welcome to the ville :hook

Thanks for the reply. I do have the loop, but I agree that it seems like there should be more spaces for all the stiches that comes after that.

At first I did not see a way to contact the designer. I see now that the person who wrote the pattern is also the owner of the site, so I will try that way also. Still open to other ideas though...

Jennifer

I wrote to her and I got my answer. I'm sharing it here for everyone. It is called an Eyelet Foundation and worked as described in a tutorial that she wrote:

http://bellacrochet.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-crocheted-eyelet-foundation.html

10 days to get this project done. Yeah!

Jennifer

Wow, she got back to you really quickly! That is a nice tutorial:hook. It is a cool way to begin, a pretty edge for a lacy stitch....i will have to remember that for future projects. Thanks for sharing it, and good luck with the rest of the doily:cheer

When I read your post on these swans a half hour ago, I had just finished a thread snowflake, so I picked up my hook and thread and followed row 1 that you posted.... I ended up with a quarter sized jumble of stitches, maybe a pansy or a tiny chrysanthenum type thing... ooops!

Thank goodness you asked the designer how to do this... What a wonderful foundation row this makes, and her tutorial is so easy to follow! As soon as I saw her sample pink "wreath", I thought this would make a nice tree decoration.

Okay, I'm off to find some green yarn in my stash, looks like I'll be making wreaths from her tutorial this afternoon instead of these thread snowflakes!

Moral of the story for me... read thru the entire pattern before you get started,, or at least read thru the entire post... lol.

Archived