Cotton Crochet Bedspread-Counterpane Yardage

Does anyone remember the general rule for crocheted #10 cotton bedspreads, counterpanes? Most were based upon a full sized bed and were a coverlet (covering the top mattress).

I remember the old rule for worsted crocheted afghans was 20 ct. 4 oz balls, in the standard size (roughly 50+" x 70+" and you allowed more for color changes, density, size, Tunisian, etc.

I cannot find a reference, and though it can vary a lot, it would be nice to have someplace to start (since I haven't decided on the actual design yet). I do remember that crochet takes a third to half again as much thread as a knitted one...

Help?

TIA,

Susan

(Maybe someone has a pattern for one, or the old pinwheel design, and could look it up for me, pretty please?)

Wow, you are ambitious.

I have some 40 year old patterns for bedspreads that call out knit-cro-sheen (which is still available, equivalent to #10 thread and according to coats&clark comes in 225 yd balls for white/ecru/cream, 150 yd. balls for colors). The pattern is (guessing) about 30% open, 70% solid. The pic shows the bedspread coming to the floor.

Single size (67.5"x108"m excluding border) 62 balls of white etc., or 88 balls of color.

Double size (85.5"x108") 79 balls white, or 111 balls of color.

-------

Another pattern, maybe a bit more solid and in colors, also has popcorn stitches

Single 119 balls color

Double 142 balls color :eek

-------

Another pattern, sort of filet-ish but the filled squares are popcorns, much more open than the first 2 patterns

Single 48 balls white, or 69 balls color

Double 56 balls white, or 80 balls color

So I don't think there's a 'rule of thumb', it's going to vary wildly on the pattern.

ps I can't share these as they are still under copyright.... Antiquepatternlibrary.org is bound to have some, but will likely call out x balls of some obscure brand for which you won't know the yardage. Celt's vintage crochet yahoo group has a bunch of patterns, but you have to join up. Freepatterns.com has 1 pattern, 'compass bedspread', you need to sign up but it's free.

I thought knitting usually used more thread/yarn than crochet? Course it depends a LOT on what stitches are being used. There are some real yarn eaters out there that can surprise you! I'd love to find a really pretty lacy look bedspread made with worsted weight. I had a pineapple pattern once, but don't know what I did with it. I think I could adapt one of the pineapple afghans I have to a bedspread easy enough though.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I did an experiment a while back. Using the same yarn and diameter hook/needles, and winding of the same x yardage to make several swatches.

SC and garter stitch made about the same sized swatch and had similar drape.

You got a slightly bigger swatch out of stockinette.

So depending on the pattern, using the same yarn and tool diameter crochet uses very nearly the same amount of yarn to create the same size project . If you vary the tool to match gauge, however, crochet uses (a little bit) more. I think it's due to the effect that each crochet stitch is effectively 'cast off' (there's only 1 stitch on your hook, usually) and knit stitches are 'live'.

And like you said, once you vary from plain stitches it's hard to compare a knit versus crochet yardage needs.

post-13625-135897710462_thumb.jpg

Archived