Help with patern from Crochet Today mag November/December 2010 issue

melia.ann

Question

I am trying to make the Favorite Cardi pattern from Crochet Today's November/December 2010 issue. I got to row 2 on the yoke of the cardigan and then got stuck trying to figure out row 3. :think If someone has that issue please help me. :sigh

15 answers to this question

I am trying to make the Favorite Cardi pattern from Crochet Today's November/December 2010 issue. I got to row 2 on the yoke of the cardigan and then got stuck trying to figure out row 3. :think If someone has that issue please help me. :sigh

OK I have the magazine. this is a Doris Chan pattern, and usually her patterns have a lot of shaping in the yoke, which can look really complicated when written out. the good thing is that her shaping really works, and then when you have finished the shaping the rest usually sails by.

So, take a deep breath, and just do exactly what the words are telling you. You may want to highlight the specific numbers for the size you are making. You may want to write out the instructions for yourself, writing out any abbreviations as complete words and including only the numbers for the size you are making. that will make it look less daunting and confusing.

if there is a specific portion of row 3 that has you stumped, post those details and maybe we can help you decipher it.

You might save time and frustration by checking the magazine website to see if there are any errata for the pattern. If there are no errata, you can trust Doris' patterns. Do be sure you have read all the explanations of the abbreviations and the other info on pages 31-32.

I have made a couple of tops from Doris' patterns and on the first one i found the yoke shaping really hard to understand from the written pattern, but once i got it, it was great! So hang in there:)

Try putting a stitch marker in the increase stitches (corners), to help you orient yourself. If you look at the schematic on page 35, visualize a line from the collar down to the armpit. This line is approx. where you will be making the corners. There will be 4 corners, one on each side of each shoulder - like a raglan sleeve 'seam'.

If you have ever made a granny square or other square motif in the round, think of it as making a square except you have a center opening with a collar , and one side of the square is open (front opening). I hope I haven't confused you, but I hope it helps to visualize it that way.

Here are the rows that I'm having trouble with. (I am making this in a size large so I will put in the numbers for that size.) Row 3 is in bold. I can get

Special Stitches

beg-hdc:

Ch 2 loosely, insert hook in second ch from hook draw up a loop, insert hook in first stitch yarn over and draw up a loop,yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.

shell:

Dc, ch 3, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 3, dc. (4 dc, 3 ch-3 spaces)

Collar

Fsc 69

Rows 1-14: Beg-hdc in first stitch, hdc in each remaining st across (69 hdc)

Yoke

Row 1: turn; beg-hdc in first hdc, hdc in next 13 hdc for front band, ch 1, sk next hdc, sc in next hdc, [ch 3, sk next 2 hdc, sc in next hdc, ch 3 sk next hdc, sc in next hdc] 7 times, ch 3 sk next 2 hdc, sc in next hdc, ch 1, sk next hdc, hdc in last 14 hdc for front band (15 ch-3 spaces, and 14 hdc in each front band)

Row 2: turn; beg-hdc in first hdc, hdc in each remaining hdc of front band, ch 3, sk next ch-1 space, *3 dc in next ch-3 space, ch 3, sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3; repeat from * across to last ch-3 space, 3 dc in last ch-3, ch 3, sk next ch-1 space, hdc in each hdc of front band.

Row 3: (increase row) turn; beg-hdc in first hdc, hdc in next 13 hdc, ch 1, [sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3] twice, shell in next sc (corner made), ch 3, [sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3] twice, shell in next sc (corner made), ch 3, [sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3] 8 times, shell in next sc (corner made), ch 3, [sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3] twice, shell in next sc (corner made), ch 3, [sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3] twice, shell in next sc (corner made), [ch 3, sc in next ch-3 space] twice, ch 1, hdc in last 14 (31 ch-3 spaces)

The blue is where I'm stuck.

There is a correction for that pattern,

http://www.crochettoday.com/corrections?page=1

edit - oh great, one pdf link doesn't work.  There are 2 links - 1 is under the sweater, the other is under the Nov-Dec mag itself.  The link in the mag works, but the sweater link doesn't (for me), and there are 2 charts that are supposedly corrected so you're still missing one.

There were a lot of grumblings about the quality of the pattern on the magazine's website, but there are a lot of completed ravelry projects.  One person commented "The stitch charts for pattern rows C and D are incorrect. The written directions are correct. There should be shown, in the stitch chart, a sc, ch 3 in the ch 3 sp before the corner increases."

Hope this helps.

Following what GrannySquare posted, there is a group on Ravelry just for Doris Chan's patterns.  Doris posts there frequently and there are many people using her patterns and posting help.  you will have to sign up on Ravelry to see this, I think, but here is a thread where someone posted info and a link to her project notes that seem to have a lot of detail http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/doris-chan-crochet/1478082/1-25

Guess I will try emailing Crochet Today and asking them to put the other corrected chart back up!  We need those corrections to be available!  

Thank you both so much.  I have completed row 3 it was the [sc in the next ch-3 sp, ch 3] which is in the SAME space and not it two different stitches that was throwing me off.  I am not on row 7 which is another increase row for chart C so now I am off to see if I can figure this one out.

Again thank you so much for the guidance.  It was a tremendous help.

Becky

Oh, great idea Kathy, I just scribbled in my mag too.  Glad you got it worked out Becky!

Of course if I ever make it, I won't think to look for errata or discussions and would never remember this thread, brain just not that organized lol , so making notes in the mag itself is the only way I would ever remember!  

Archived