Two recent hats...........

I Create

I hope to pop in more often now that our move and work on our new home plus unpacking is down to a minor portion of our days! Here are two hats I just made for my DD for Christmas. :garden She has moved back to FL sadly enough, and doesn't need warm hats but loves them, so she is stirring up my creativity to make some that are comfy and cute. I tried the one from Crochet! magazine on page 16 of the May 2007 issue. I had made it in pink like the picture for her a couple years ago and guess not working with thread or doing much crochet the past year or more, I did something wrong. It came out way too big and I messed something up in the beginning rows.

Anyway, here is one I made by a free internet pattern. I made it in a 4-ply cotton yarn, a dark teal green. It turned out a little large also, but I turned up the bottom edge in back when I tried it on and I thought it looked cute (the hat, not me, lol). It will look lots better on her. ;)

After that one I decided I needed to use a smaller hook and yarn. The particular cotton yarn I used (I think it was from Joann's or Michael's) was thicker than most 4-ply. Also I decided to do my own thing so here is the black I just finished last night. It is my own design, more open and loopy but with a solid top to be more suitable for a FL winter. She is in the north/central area so there is some cold weather there. Decided not to put myself in the picture after seeing the first one! :D

I'm ready to start another one for her in cotton (but thinner 4-ply) yarn with a fuzzy sparkly thin yarn along side it. I will design it a little different.

post-23943-135897695661_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897695664_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897695666_thumb.jpg

Love your hats, especially the blue one! I think we should have a hat to go with every outfit! :) Hope your daughter loves them.

I live in NW Florida and LOVE hats too. I miss the great winter hats I wore up north. Even though we have pretty warm weather, I've found some fun hats to wear here. Besides the usual sun hats (and this year there were tons of sun hat patterns on Ravelry and other sites) I also love the open stitched slouchy berets. I first fell for them with the Raspberry Beret in Crochet Today magazine. Here is a free pattern that is very similar to it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/combination-summer-hat I found the looser "slouchy) berets enabled me to keep a cool head when wearing! :)

Thanks, Debra! I looked up and downloaded the hat pattern. Looks like a good one for her! You sound like you enjoy hats as much as my DD. :)

Glad you could use it Bonnie! Yes, I do love hats, especially slouchy berets! They are pretty but also functional -- hiding a bad hair day very nicely! :D

Thanks, everyone, for all the positive comments! I found it a very satisfying thing to do, to make it up as I went. Took a lot of courage to start doing this a couple years ago, and just starting to make up my designs again since we have settled down from the move.

I have started another one same basic color but "I love this yarn" brand yarn from Hobby Lobby so it is very soft and doing it by a pattern and a mauve fuzzy yarn along with the cream color. Hope to finish it today.

Archived