FLEECE FOR KATRINA VICTIMS

Lollie2639

Hi crochet sisters:

As some might remember I am a registered nurse. I live in central (right below Atlanta). I was told when I worked yesterday that we are also going to be taking in patients for medical care. Anyway, there are many signs posted taking in non-perishable food items that will be sent over to the needy in the affected areas.

As far as blankets.......

Since we all LOVE to crochet and I know without a shadow of a doubt that all of you, just like me, have more than one project of crochet going right now, I was thinking of a way go make blankets that will take hardly no time. It takes some time to crochet an afghan. I personally have been working on 2 for months now. :manyheart I am suggesting this.......

Lets all go to Walmart, or you local fabric store, and buy the inexpensive fleece. You can fray the ends or cut 1 x 4" strips around all 4 sides and go back and knot each strip...and voila! I am going to make about 6 today. Four baby ones and 2 adult ones. One yard can make 2 small blankies.

Just a thought......

Let me know what you think!

God Bless everyone:hug

Crochet RN

(Laurie)

I think thats a wonderful quick fix. Do you have a place that they can be sent to.

A live in Rhode Island and a guy that owns a truck company voluntered to drive a truck load of supplies down . He was going to park in a mall parking lot so people could bring stuff down but the red cross told him no. They only want money. no supplies

The polar fleece idea is great as it will also be easy to post.

My sister and I were looking at them in a store yesterday and some had been on Special. Unfortunately they were back to normal price but even at full price, they were only about $9.00nz

I also saw good but very cheap t-shirts which I think would also be acceptable for people who only have what they stand in.

If I can find a freight firm in Hamilton NZ, who will do me a good deal on freighting a box of goodies, I will start a collection of Polar Fleece rugs, especially baby size, t-shirts and maybe flip-flops (we call them Jandals) I will only accept new items because I think these people deserve new not used.

I will look into the cost of freight first and also how long it would take to get there.

All I would need then would be the person to send them to.

Who would you recommend?

I do have a friend in South Carolina but maybe that is too far away and would need more money to get them from her place to where they are needed.

Let me know ladies and I will let you know how it goes at this end.

Special wishes to everyone who is affected by this disaster.

Colleen, in NZ.:hug

PS Come on any other NZers on this board, let me know if you can help.:hug

My e-mail address is in my profile.

A DEAR FRIEND OF MINE IS THE HEAD COORDINATOR AND FOUNDER OF THE PROJECT LINUS IN MY AREA. SHE AND HER GROUP MAKE BLANKETS ('HUGS') FOR CHILDREN. THEY ARE ASKING FOR BLANKETS TO BE DONATED FOR THE KATRINA VICTIMS. HER NAME IS JOAN AND SHE KNOWS EXACTLY HOW TO GET THE BLANKETS TO WHERE THEY NEED TO GO. SHE IS AN EXCELLENT PROJECT LINUS COORDINATOR/LEADER AND IS CHRISTIAN AND HONEST.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO DONATE BLANKETS I CAN PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH HER AND SHE CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO TO GET THEM THERE. JUST SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE.

LAURIE:hug

He was going to park in a mall parking lot so people could bring stuff down but the red cross told him no. They only want money. no supplies

Am I the only one who thinks this is strange?

If someone will drive the truck down, then they don't have to pay for shipping, hence the materials are there with no effort on their part. Why do they want only money?

Am I the only one who thinks this is strange?

If someone will drive the truck down, then they don't have to pay for shipping, hence the materials are there with no effort on their part. Why do they want only money?

The mother of a good friend works as a coordinator for the Red Cross. She's said that there a few reasons why the Red Cross only wants financial contributions, especially in such a large scale rescue as this but the main reason is this - the Red Cross has been doing this for many years & they are experts at it. Simply put, they know what they're doing & can do it as efficiently as the situation allows. If they were to attempt to coordinate volunteers on a case by case basis, it would take necessary volunteers who are already trained & in the places where they need to be, to take care of the donation. Also, while people's hearts are definitely in the right place, sometimes their donations may not be. One particular area may need water while another may need blankets. The Red Cross knows the best way to coordinate supplies & get them to where they need to be. They're the experts & while it's super frustrating to sit at home in our warm dry homes with food, electricity & indoor plumbing & not DO something, a financial donation will help even more than anything else.

Personally, I'm not in a financial situation to help other than a small contribution. I'm going tomorrow after work to give blood. While there's not a major need for it now, it won't ever be turned down.

And finally, prayers are free. (My apologies to anyone who may find offense in my saying so ; I've been on other boards where some people took huge offense to the mention of it). A few words with your Higher Power I truly believe carries more weight than any donation, financial or otherwise. :manyheart

I have, as I said I would, enquired about the cost of sending new t-shirts etc to help the people affected buy this tragedy.:think :think :think

The cost is too high and of course, no-one will do it for nothing.

Through the local Radio Station, I was put in touch with the local Salvation Army. They have just had word that Wal Mart was donating clothing in such a large amount that even the Salvation Army did not know how they were going to distibute it all.

I would say, "Good on you Wal Mart."

We have an Internet Auction site here, Trade Me, that I sell stuff on so I will put some auctions on which are dedicated to the relief fund and send what I raise for the Sallies here to pass on.

Good luck everyone with whatever you choose to do to help.

Colleen.:hug :hug :hug

PS,

Bellisima, You pray if that is what you do and dont let anyone stop you.

I, personally do not pray, but I certainly respect others who do.

The people who object are the ones with the problem, not you.:hug

The mother of a good friend works as a coordinator for the Red Cross. She's said that there a few reasons why the Red Cross only wants financial contributions, especially in such a large scale rescue as this but the main reason is this - the Red Cross has been doing this for many years & they are experts at it. Simply put, they know what they're doing & can do it as efficiently as the situation allows. If they were to attempt to coordinate volunteers on a case by case basis, it would take necessary volunteers who are already trained & in the places where they need to be, to take care of the donation. Also, while people's hearts are definitely in the right place, sometimes their donations may not be. One particular area may need water while another may need blankets. The Red Cross knows the best way to coordinate supplies & get them to where they need to be. They're the experts & while it's super frustrating to sit at home in our warm dry homes with food, electricity & indoor plumbing & not DO something, a financial donation will help even more than anything else.

I still think it's havey-cavey. If you want to help, how can the Red Cross (NOT a government agency) tell you no? I think I'll stick with people who don't just want money, but want help, in any form they can get it.

I know that the red cross says money only they always do. But I also Know that here in Jacksonville we have sent at last count at least 54 trucks Not into NO but into the other affected areas with food and water and basic needs like diapers. IN many cases we the people of Jacksonville are the only people the surviors have seen even as late as this morning.

My family has spent the week loading trucks to send.

I know that the red cross says money only they always do. But I also Know that here in Jacksonville we have sent at last count at least 54 trucks Not into NO but into the other affected areas with food and water and basic needs like diapers. IN many cases we the people of Jacksonville are the only people the surviors have seen even as late as this morning.

My family has spent the week loading trucks to send.

All the money in the world could never replace people like you! :2rock Awesome...just awesome!

Our papaer yesterday had an article in it, about how private citizens are taking campers and trucks, filling them with donations, and parking in affected areas and just GIVING out the supplies to those who need them. I think its just wonderful....these people are taking time and money and just doing SO MUCH!

I wish I could afford to do this.....

Archived