Speaking of crochet toppers and holes

yarnbunny

Question

I found a few sets of old pillow cases with scalloped edges and holes already in them at an estate sale. They were plain white and both ends were open. They were to be embroidered and then a crocheted lace edging done at the scalloped edge and then the straight edge was to be sewn shut.

I decorated one set for my grandma and the other set for my mom. Everyone liked them so much they want me to make them some too. I have looked high and low for more pillow cases with the holes already in them and I haven't been able to fine any.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and where I can find them? Please let me know soon. They make great and inexpensive Christmas gifts!

Thanks

Yarnbunny

6 answers to this question

I looked all thru Herrschnerrs & was unalble to find any pillow cases, only pillow shams. That is an old craft, but you might try checking with the company that makes the kits. I can't remember right off hand who that is, but if you have a hobby lobby, I think they carry some of the other kits. Maybe they even have those. Good luck!

Something you might want to consider is making the motif then whipstitching it on the pillowcase by hand or machine! I have some towels I did that too with some easy scallop eding!

Just a thought if you can't find the pillowcases you are looking for!

Donna

The holes are called Hemstitching and you should be able to get it done for you at a sewing machine shop. Most modern, new sewing machines, which do embroidery stitches, should be able to do it for you.

Otherwise, craft stores should stock tablecloths, pillow slips etc, ready for embroidery and crochet edges.

Hope this helps.

Colleen:cheer

Thank you all so much!! All of your suggestions really helped. I did find the pillowcases at HankyBlanks.com. They are pretty pricey though, $12.00 for 1 pillowcase. I guess I'm just in shock because I bought four sets for a $1.00 at a yard sale:lol. I wasn't expecting to pay so much if I did find them. They also have old-fashioned embroidery and crochet edging patterns for sale. I'm really glad I joined Crochetville. You all are wonderful:manyheart .

Yarnbunny

Archived