Edging Granny Squares??

My afghan in progress right now is a sampler granny square afghan (inspired by one seen in the show and tell forum here on the 'ville :)). I'm not sure of how big I'm going to make it yet, but I'm making it out of 12" granny squares of off white, rose, and a soft green. What I'm wondering is if I should edge each square to sort of tie them all together? or should I just join them all the way they are? Anybody ever had a similar dilemma?? Thanks! :hook

Personally, I prefer to edge mine, I think it sort of ties it all together. I've seen some very pretty afghans without the edging on each square, though.

That's the great thing about crochet. There are no hard and fast rules, especially when it comes to color choice. You can do it either way, it all depends on what you like. I do usually use one color to bring it all together, but I've also done it the other way with equally pleasing results.

If you don't want the joining to show, the best thing to do would probably be to whip stitch them together. I usually just go through the back loop only using the lighter color of the 2 squares that I'm joining, if that made sense...:blush

It depends on my mood at times. If I am doing a scarf, then I edge them before putting them together. I now do a lot of join as you go grannies, so they don't get edged but it is a really nice look when it is done, that includes scarves also.

Whatever you do, just have fun with it.

LI Roe

I never ever!!!! :eek whipstitch but I have used a slip stitch worked from the back and I find that works. If you use only the closest loops it doesn't show. I have a personal aversion to any hand sewing so you should probably take that into consideration when reading this post. :wlol

And I used to live for my embroidery and needlepoint :rofl

Archived