Soft and Excellent Washing Yarn is there such a combo

crochetandrelax

I am crocheting an afghan for a gift, though I know they do not like the scratchiness of RHSS. I want to give an afghan that will hold up in the wash and not look fuzzy. I wash my afghans a couple times a month in the winter and they look great, (w/RHSS). Is there a much softer yarn that holds up the same?

ILTY Hobby Lobby's brand is very simialr in durability as red heart, but softer, have you considered using rhss and "softening" it yourself, I believe I have read right here on the ville how to do that, and I have used hair conditioner in the final rinse, and had wonderful results! Good luck, happy hookin!

Thanks to everyone and the great recommendations.

I would not want someone not to use it or just throw it aside. I haven't tried Hobby Lobby's yarn since it is a drive from me. I am definitely going to have to try it. I can still buy some Caron here at Micheal's. I haven't used Caron in a very long time and could not remember if it fuzzed.

I usually soften my RHSS with Downy when washing.

Caron Simply Soft is the Caron yarn that fuzzes not Natura or Pounders. I get my at Joanns.com when it's on sale and use the free shipping coupon. It's amazing how much yarn you can get that way.

Thanks RoseRed!

I thought it was Caron. I am glad you cleared that up for me. I know they have a few pounders, not a great selection at Micheal's. I may have to try ordering online. I have never bought my yarn that way.

Thanks RoseRed!

I thought it was Caron. I am glad you cleared that up for me. I know they have a few pounders, not a great selection at Micheal's. I may have to try ordering online. I have never bought my yarn that way.

If you check for coupons, and/or specials, you may not have to pay shipping. JoAnn's has good sales, and shipping specials. I've never ordered from them, but I've only heard good things about Knitpicks; they have a wonderful selection.

At the bottom of every thread here at the ville is a free shipping coupon. They usually place a limit of over $40 or $50 on free shipping but I just save up and do a big purchase instead of a few little ones.

Sign up for their newsletter and they'll let you know when the yarn goes on sale and other promotions. I like the customer service at JoAnns. If there's a problem with the yarn just a phone call has always been enough to fix it.

The thing about JoAnns that you need to remember is that they will not replace a skein that has been used in a project. I wind my skeins first so that if there are a lot of knots I'll know it ahead of time. (That's not actually a JoAnn problem but a manufacturer problem). They've never asked me to send anything back. They just replace what I've called about. I also don't abuse this and only call when there is a problem.

I am glad to hear JoAnn's has good customer service. I will give buying yarn online a try.

There are so many options and until you use a yarn consistently it is hard to know it's wear. I always have the tendency to stick to the one's I have used. I tried making sample pot holders out of a few varieties of yarn to test it's washing ability. Sometimes it works and other times I'm just not certain. I have made two afghans for Christmas gifts that are a plush yarn and working on the third. These are request by the girls. Though I have a few family members who would like the warmer afghans and I would like to make at least two by Christmas, using a softer yarn. (So they will be a little more cuddly.)

I know many don't like Homespun, though I work well with it. (No, it's not a wonderful washing yarn, but I have had daughters who have kept it looking fairly new. Miracles never cease.)

Sorry, I have a tendency to rattle on. I am anxious to try the Caron Pounders and see how it washes. I know I will have to try ILTY also. I hear about it all the time on the 'ville.

All of you have been great! I appreciate your input more than you know.

Archived