Substitute for Jute

janal14

Question

So I really like the look of the Jute twine that I've seen used to crochet here and on other sites, and would like to make similar objects. Here's the issue: Jute makes me die. Seriously die. :eek

I work at a summer camp and teach arts and crafts. The director bought some jute twine to use as embellishments, and I opened the box this year with one of my co-directors....massive asthma attack, had to use my nebulizer, benadryl, and muscle relaxers, and they were about to speed me to the ER. Needless to say, jute is no longer used in my presence except when I have the mask and gloves on.

So what I want here is a similar look, without the whole death reaction. I've considered hemp, but I'm slightly allergic to it as well. Any suggestions?

4 answers to this question

Maybe some skinny sisal rope (or is that the same plant jute comes from)? I'm not sure how small it comes. I found a roll at home recently that's I think 1/4" that I think I'm going to play with. Looks like it'll be hard on the hands, but I'm curious as to how it'd work up.

Archived