Can you recomend these books?

crochetmonster

Hi,

I've found these books at amazon and I wonder if anyone can recomend buying them. I know, it depends on what I'm looking for... well, I'm looking for fashionable and interessting crochet projects and for a good guide to the irish crochet technic.

I've bought some books lately and was a little disapointed, because they only thought the basic stitches and technics, which I knew already or the pattern descriptions turned out to be not very detailed (i.e. "make a paper pattern from the given sizes and work the in/decreases according to that").

So, here are the books I'm interested in:

Irish Crochet : Technique and Projects (Dover Needlework Series) by Priscilla Publishing Co.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0486247058/qid=1125139627/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-4138639-2630400?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Simple Crochet by Erika Knight

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400050790/qid=1125139718/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4138639-2630400?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Ultimate Poncho Book: 50 Fun, Fabulous Knit and Crochet Designs for All Ages and Styles (Knit & Crochet) by Carol Alexander

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1596350334/qid=1125139794/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-4138639-2630400?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Thanks,

Pauline/crochetmonster

I've only looked at Simple Crochet (got it from the library). It was, well, fine, I guess. Nothing truly exciting, but then again, that's what the title implies, doesn't it? :) I did like the slipper pattern that's featured on the cover and I may get it back out of the library so I can make those for holiday presents.

But I, personally, wouldn't buy it. It's a good book to borrow, but I wouldn't want to own it.

If you're looking for a good book, try Cool Crochet by Melissa Leapman. I love it!

I can definitely recommend the Irish Crochet book if you like thread and Irish Crochet. It has some great patterns in it.

I have Simple Crochet but prefer Cool Crochet over it or many others. It just doesn't have that many unusual, cool or even great patterns. It's very simple.

I don't have nor have seen the poncho book so can't say anything about it.

I don't have that particular Dover book, but since it's originally by Priscilla it's probably the same quality as Masterpieces of Irish Crochet Lace -- excellent. My book is a reproduction of the original, and I'm guessing it's the same for any Priscilla book Dover publishes. The stitch names are different from what we use, but my book has a chart showing the equivalents.

Simple Crochet is a nicely designed book in terms of how it's layed out and the pictures. But if you're looking for something a little beyond the basics with better quality, well written patterns, this isn't the book for you. Really, it's more of an idea book than it is a pattern book. She has some nice things that for me are inspiring just for their sheer simplicity and unique use of chosen materials. But don't expect well laid out instructions. It's at least worth a flip-through in the yarn or craft store.

I just checked out Simple Crochet from the Library yesterday. It is a very basic book. Some interesting comments on unique fibers. But all in all very basic. If you can get it from the library, it is worth it. But I wouldn't buy it.

I don't know that particular Priscilla Irish Crochet book. I have 2 Irish Crochet books from Priscilla but the are repros from the old editions. I got them at ivarose.com. I really love them. OR You can download them for free -as well as a whole lot of other Irish Crochet books that are awesome - at http://www.enfys.dsl.pipex.com/ic.htm.

There's also a great Irish Crochet yahoo group that would really lead you in the right direction.

I would recommend Cool Crochet. I just bought it a few weeks ago and it is pretty good.

Hello,

Thank you for your great help! I don't think I'll finde one of these books in an german libary so it was really helpfull to read your comments. I'll join these yahoo newsgroop on irish crocheting, if they let me. The link with the irish vintagepattern is superb! I won't buy "Simple Crochet", thanks for your advice for "Cool Crochet" (although it much more expensive :-() Nobody knows that Alexander Carol Book? Well, if I buy it, I'll tell you what its like.

Buy, buy ... bye bye

yours

crochetmonster Pauline

Archived