Washing Yarn- Spring Cleaning

Nox

Hi,

Haven't been around in awhile due to the fact I needed a break from all things crochet after all the stuff I did for Christmas, but I'm back! I have a very big question. I have a huge bin (and then some) filled with good yarn that I've aquired here and there, but it all needs a good wash due to dog hair and such. I have mostly Red Heart Super Saver acrylic yarn I think which I know is very anti-heat. So my question is how can I wash a whole skein of yarn? And also how can I dry it? I was thinking of taking each one and coiling it in a loop (like an extension cord) and then using a twisty tie or something at opposite ends to keep it from getting tangled. However, I am very curious about drying it after cause I would assume a dryer wouldn't work. If anyones had old yarn they've needed to wash and has some tips please lend me your wisdom! Thanks

I have heard that if you put the whole skein in a mesh delicates bag, and zip it, one or two at a time, depending on the bag, or even a small zip pillowcase, that it washes well, don't agitate too long, i wouldnt think though, and just sit out to dry, takes a while they say, for the insides to completely dry, but supposed to come out nice as new. I have never felt the need to wash a yarn skein, however, I might try this method if I needed to when and if that time comes. Sorry, maybe someone else might have a better solution..In my experience with clothes, washing something to get the dog hair off, doesn't work as well, as a tumble in the dryer, with a dryer sheet, again, I suppose you could try that on low, for a few minutes, but honestly, I would just use it, and either wash the project before using? I mean if it weren't stained, I dunno....

I put washable yarn in a knee high, tie it off well, and toss in the washer, then dry low for a little bit. Then, and this is important, take the skein apart using a swift (or a chair back or willing friend's arms). Tie the yarn in one or two places and remove from swift or chair. This leaves the yarn loose to slip over a hanger and finish drying. I think you're on the right track, but don't undo the yarn until after it's out of the machine, then wind up like an extension cord.

I put RHSS in the dryer all of the time. I use tons of thrift shop yarn for cat mats and have not had a problem. I don't notice any problems with the yarn as I use it.

Archived