Half single crochet

crazycrochet

Question

I got a phone call from my cousin today and she said a friend of her's had a pattern with a half single crochet stitch in it. I said are you sure, and she said yes. I told her to get the pattern so we could see it, and that I would look around and see if I could find something on it. Has anyone ever heard of it or know where I can find information on it? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the 'ville, Nytowl223.  Just FYI you are responding to a post that is over 10 years old, I don't think most of the earlier posters are active here any more.  

A lot of crochet stitches get re-invented over time, example--foundation stitches became all the rage a while back as a newly invented thing, and I later spotted the very same technique (under a different name) in one of the 'how-to- books' from the 1840s at Antique Pattern Library.  So your mom, and whoever it was above, are probably among legions of people who 'invented it' over the last ~200 years.  Which is not a bad thing!  It's probably the reason so many crochet stitch names (beyond the basic ones like SC, DC etc.) are a complete mess, many stitches have several names, and some names are used for several different stitches.  

In 1991 there Annie's Attic put out a book called The Elmore Method. William Elmore (an old man) created many stitches that were in between the standard stitches. Sl st, sc, double single, hdc, half Elmore, dc, Elmore st, double Elmore, trc, Elmore tr, Elmore dtr, tall Texan. In 1994 there was a book called More Elmore, with even more new stitches (too many list). 

Ellie 13