Around the world quilt - CAL. *happy yellow House

katiePink

Hello everyone :cheer:cheer:cheer

I've wanted to do an afghan/quilt for a long time but haven't worked up the courage yet.. SO, i thought a cal would really boost my motivation :P.. so far i haven't chosen the colours but should be in pink shades :P and hopefully it will be ready for winter this year lol.. and winter is in a few months :think:think:think

anyone up for the challenge???

the pattern is found here :

http://www.happyyellowhouse.com/htm/atw.html

Hello everyone :cheer:cheer:cheer

I've wanted to do an afghan/quilt for a long time but haven't worked up the courage yet.. SO, i thought a cal would really boost my motivation :P.. so far i haven't chosen the colours but should be in pink shades :P and hopefully it will be ready for winter this year lol.. and winter is in a few months :think:think:think

anyone up for the challenge???

the pattern is found here :

http://www.happyyellowhouse.com/htm/atw.html

Good luck to you! I haven't made that pattern, but did make this one. It's throw size. One piece of advice )not that you asked...LOL): leave long tails (at least 2 sides if the square in length) and attach them as you go:

post-8552-135897646058_thumb.jpg

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I hang out on 2 threads primarily: Our House (part 2) and 20111 Combo Challenge. Our House is where you'll find more ladies who make saltine projects, too:hook

I love that pattern! I have had it on my list of things to make for a long time. I would love to join in but I have a few other WIP's that I have to get finished first. I will be watching your progress and will hopefully join in soon.

made a dozen squares so far! lol.. going really slowly... i'll post pictures during weekend and hope some will join in too :)

Good luck!

Oh - a problem I had to deal with was different brands (or colors) of yarn. I had to change a hook size for the baby 9 patch I;m making now - but only for one of the 3 colors . If I didn't the sizes would have been off!

i'm lucky (and unlucky) to have only ONE shop with enough colours of yarn and i bought the big yarn (using hook 5mm) and they're all the same brand... there's only baby yarn that has different brands here and well, the baby yarn don't have that many colour choice.. do you know the brand VENUS ?? that's what i use for amigurumi and well, now for the squares :P i hope it'll keep me and darling warm for winter :P

I am working on another quilt from the site... http://happyyellowhouse.com/htm/calliope.html right now... once I am done I may jump in on this one... that is if I can stand the idea of making another little square and sewing them together! I am about 20 squares shy of my first panel right now (81 squares per panel) and hope that I will have it done! This is for my niece and it is in very bright colors!

i'm lucky (and unlucky) to have only ONE shop with enough colours of yarn and i bought the big yarn (using hook 5mm) and they're all the same brand... there's only baby yarn that has different brands here and well, the baby yarn don't have that many colour choice.. do you know the brand VENUS ?? that's what i use for amigurumi and well, now for the squares :P i hope it'll keep me and darling warm for winter :P

I never heard of the VENUS brand:think

Alnee....that's going to be a beautiful ghan! Remember, do it in sections and attach squares as you go....

They're worth all the work - as long as your hands hold up;)

I've assembled only 5 squares so far... as you can see, i didn't use black but grey instead... and well, for the other colours, i'll keep the pattern of 3 shades between the grey but i've changed the colours.. i hope it'll turn out nice...

apart from the 5 assembled, i did 17 squares :P

post-48488-135897647691_thumb.jpg

post-48488-135897647694_thumb.jpg

I've assembled only 5 squares so far... as you can see, i didn't use black but grey instead... and well, for the other colours, i'll keep the pattern of 3 shades between the grey but i've changed the colours.. i hope it'll turn out nice...

apart from the 5 assembled, i did 17 squares :P

I've never seen one that didn't look great - regardless of the colors!

You go, girl!:cheer:cheer:cheer

i started one of these a long time ago and since put it up away, lol, got to tedious for me at the time. but after I'm finish with projects im on now I think I'll have to pick it up.. cause the one i have I only had 2 more colors to complete then the fun of joining!

Hi Katie

I made one of these way back a few years ago also, but have no idea where the photo is. I'm not very organized at keeping my photos in any particular order .

I made mine with the Caron SS Brites.It looked so pretty when done,but wouldnt recommend it again,only because the yarn is slippery and it was a challenge keeping the squares sewn tightly enough .

Best of luck with yours, and hopefully some others may join you . I like you color choices .

thanks juliekay :)...

well, my second colour is all assembled :P ... and all the third colour squares are crocheted, i need to assemble and start crocheting more grey squares :P

:cheergo, girl, go:cheer

I know that I am not doing the same pattern but thought that I would let you guys know that I suck! LOL I made up all 81 squares (and then some) to make the first panel... and I started sewing it together only to find that I apparently cant sew crap together right! I ended up reversing the pattern and I really do not like how it looks sewn together. The seams do not look right to me. I think I will have to look up other techniques. I am trying to do the back loops only right now. I hate sewing stuff together but I have used just a whip stitch in the past but I do not think it will work on a project this large.

Also... when sewing together lots of squares with different color edges should I change out change my color with each square or keep going with same color if it is in a straight line? any tips????

Alnee, I'm sorry you're havingtrouble.

My way is to whip stitch, BLO. Ileave a long tail from each square and use that to join them. Others sc them together. Withut the tail left, I would use the lightest or darket color to join deending on your colors - i can't remmeber them right now,

Don't give up - if I conquered this anyone can. Also, use scrap yarn to join corners together so it;s even as you attach them.

Archived