? Advice counting sc rows in duckie bath mitt pattern

zoogirl

Question

I'm making a bath mitt (Annie's Attic duckie pattern) for my g'nephew using Sugar and Cream yarn. Thus far it is mainly single crochets. I thought I'd counted the first ten rows correctly, then began to increase for the wings, but it seems/looks like I've done extra rows and I'm having trouble counting the rows. Have never done anything with all sc's. Anyone know of a pictorial guide to counting rows of sc's?

Thanks so much! :think

5 answers to this question

Anything I make that involves counting rows, sc, dc hdc or combo, I write down the rows first on a piece of paper. I keep a tablet in my yarn basket just for that purpose. If you have say, 10 rows of sc I'll write 1 through 10 on my sheet. After finishing a row I mark it off as done then do the next row and mark that one off. I find this helps a lot. So, you've crocheted say, 5 rows and kept count in your head and then the phone rings or one of the lovely kids comes in whinning or hubby just can't find ANYTHING and you have to go to the rescue! You come back and can't remember what row you left off at! Had that happen one too many times so now write down all the rows and check them off as I finish them! Works great for me. You can also use a stitch counter but I find marking them off on paper easier

Make a small swatch of 3 rows of sc. Study it. You will then see what an individual row looks like. If you are working in the round, make the swatch in the round. But I agree

with Lynn, when a certain number of rows are needed, I always write down each row as I finish it.

Jean Leinhauser

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I keep an index card for each crochet project, making notes of yarn, hooks, any changes, etc. and do tally each row as I go. Guess I wasn't clear. I just would like to be able to decifer visually each row. Will definitely do the swatch idea - found one example online but it was still "fuzzy" to me.

Again, I really appreciate your help. :)

Archived