Slip stitch ending in the round

Karo83

Question

Hi,

I've started my first Amigurimi last week.

It's the French Bulldog from the Mitsuki Hoshi series (part 1).

The head didn't cause much of a problem.

But the body and ears ... aargh!! :think

I'm having problems with the slip stitch to join the rounds, and the chain 1 to start each round.

I keep ending up with too many stitches..

Here's the pattern I have to follow for making the ears:

1/5 sc + slip stitch at the end of round (adjustable ring)

2/c - 1 sc - inc 1 - 1 sc - inc 1 - 1 sc + slip stitch at end of round

3/c - inc 1 - 2 sc - inc 1 - 2 sc - inc 1 + slip stitch

This is the table of stitches after each round:

Round 1: 5

Round 2: 7

Round 3: 10

I've tried every possible way, and still I end up with too many stitches.

Do I count the slip stitch as my first single crochet?

But then I would still end up with too many..

It's driving me crazy! :eek

Karo ;)

[Admin Edit: Remove rows 3-6 to better comply with forum copyright guidelines.]

Edited by Karo83
specify pattern

11 answers to this question

The slip stitch does not count as a stitch. Running the numbers through my head, the stitch count for round 4 and on is one high based on the instructions provided. I suggest contacting the designer if possible. Best of luck!

The slip stitch does not count as a stitch. Running the numbers through my head, the stitch count for round 4 and on is one high based on the instructions provided. I suggest contacting the designer if possible. Best of luck!

Sorry no, that's my fault. I missed one stitch in the 4th round when I typed the pattern here.

Sorry no, that's my fault. I missed one stitch in the 4th round when I typed the pattern here.

Then the pattern appears correct. Try carefully following the pattern, make sure that when the pattern states (2 sc) starting in the second round that you do 1 sc in the next two stitches, not 2 in both. Make sense? That's also true for the round that states (3 sc)...that's 1 sc in the next 3 sc. Thanks!

Edited by nicolep

Then the pattern appears correct. Try carefully following the pattern, make sure that when the pattern states (2 sc) starting in the second round that you do 1 sc in the next two stitches, not 2 in both. Make sense? That's also true for the round that states (3 sc)...that's 1 sc in the next 3 sc. Thanks!

Uhm okay, well I am a bit nooby... but I hope I'm not that nooby.. ;)

I can follow the pattern like the way it should.... but still, I end up with a few stitches too many on each round and I think my problem is the slip stitch at the end and the chain 1 to start a new round

This is what I do..

Magic Circle.

Make the ring with 1 chain and 5 single crochet

Tighten the ring.

Slip stitch in the first chain stitch (the one I made to start the circle)

Round 1

Chain 1

Start my single crochet stitch in the first single crochet stitch of the magic circle. (the one after my chain 1 stitch) and so on (following the pattern).

Slip stitch in chain 1 of Round 1.

Round 2

Chain 1

Same as round 1, following the pattern.

When I want to do my slip stitch, I find that my chain 1 is very tight, so I really have to jam the needle in and work it around a bit before I can make my slip stitch..

At the end of each round, I end up with 2 extra stitches...

Instead of slip stitching in the ch1, slip stitch in the top of the Sc right after the slip stitch. That's where part of your problem is. Also, you could be getting that other extra stitch if you Sc in the sl st at the end of the rnd.

Hope this helps. :-)

Julee

Uhm okay, well I am a bit nooby... but I hope I'm not that nooby.. ;)

I can follow the pattern like the way it should.... but still, I end up with a few stitches too many on each round and I think my problem is the slip stitch at the end and the chain 1 to start a new round

This is what I do..

Magic Circle.

Make the ring with 1 chain and 5 single crochet

Tighten the ring.

Slip stitch in the first chain stitch (the one I made to start the circle)

Round 1

Chain 1

Start my single crochet stitch in the first single crochet stitch of the magic circle. (the one after my chain 1 stitch) and so on (following the pattern).

Slip stitch in chain 1 of Round 1.

Round 2

Chain 1

Same as round 1, following the pattern.

When I want to do my slip stitch, I find that my chain 1 is very tight, so I really have to jam the needle in and work it around a bit before I can make my slip stitch..

At the end of each round, I end up with 2 extra stitches...

Since the slip stitch doesn't count as a stitch, you shouldn't be doing a sc in it (as Cro Julee said). The pattern is correct as written. I was simply trying to help you. I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said.

Edited by nicolep

Since the slip stitch doesn't count as a stitch, you shouldn't be doing a sc in it (as Cro Julee said). The pattern is correct as written. I was simply trying to help you. I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said.

No no, not at all, i'm thankfull that you want to help :);)

I'm going to try your tips tonight!

Thanks! ;)

Since this post bubbled back up after 10 years, I'll add an illustration that shows the slst join (red) that started the current round, which you want to skip to avoid an accidental increase, and use the correct spot (blue) to slip stitch into to end the round and chain up for the next round.  This is US DC of course, but the same applies to SC.

Having said that, notice that immediately to the right of the red arrow, there is an increase (2 DC into 1 stitch).  What I often do, when the last stitch in the round is an increase, is put 1 stitch into the last 'real' stitch, and put 1 stitch into the slip stitch (that I just told everybody to skip ) to increase on purpose.  The reason is, I think the transition looks a tiny bit better that way.

1982136520_extrastitchintheroundwheretostartnextround.thumb.jpg.493c67707585d0826522fb31ec9b46b8.jpg

• Like 1