Joining yarn?

hapahaolegirl

Question

Hi,

I'm working on a curly scarf with worsted wool that's a bit fuzzy. I'm almost to the end of the yarn ball so I need to somehow connect it to the next ball of yarn. What is the best way to do this? I notice sometimes a ball of yarn I have has knots in it where it looks like someone joined two threads together. Is this what I'm suppsose to do? Just make a knot with the new yarn and make sure it's tight? Then try and hide the knot in the scarf?

I've never worked with more then one color so I don't know how to change out yarn.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kristen

5 answers to this question

Thanks!

The directions are for the end of a row though and I'm in the middle of a very lohng chain. I'm working vertically on the scarf, not horizonally. I did what is shown in the first picture from the link. I'm not sure what to do now since making a chain would mess up teh pattern. I'm working all double crochet's

I'm making this scarf here:

http://www.caron.com/projects/bliss/B5_ruffle_scarf.html

I'm in the middle of my 5th row.

What should I do now? I have the new yarn up as a loop. DO I just double crochet over both ends?

Thanks!

Kristen

ETA:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-join-new-yarn.htm

Ok these instructions helped! I think I have it! Thanks!

:think I dont know what the knot is called but I use the method of putting the 2 ends together and tying them. The ends are neatened in later.

I have never had anything come undone and I knitted and crocheted professionally for many, many, many years.

Really, though, it is personal preference and how finished item looks that matters.

Have fun.:hug

Colleen.

When I add on new yarn, regardless if it is the end or the middle of a row, I do as Natalie said - start the stitch with the ending yarn and finish it with the new. Then I just keep on stitching, working over both tails for some distance. If you're really worried about things coming undone later (I have yet to see that happen), you can leave a decent amount of the two tails sticking out and go back later to weave them in further. The extra length, should you want to do that, should be about 6 inches, to give you enough to work with on a yarn needle.

HTH

Archived