Newbie with yarn question.

crazy4beadz

Hi all,

I have been crocheting for a few months now, and have a few questions :)

What is the best type of yarn for hats?

I really like using " i love this yarn (soft) "But.. when i wash the hat, it is too soft. For example, a beret. Id like it to be more firm and not wrinkly soft? Sorry don't know how else to explain.

And what is worsted yarn? Many patterns call for this type.

And.. which yarn will not shrink if i put it in the dryer? I plan on making an afghan.

Joanne

Worsted weight is pretty standard, a size 4. At Michael's you can get a nice worsted (Loops and Threads Impeccable, I think) that is soft, but less so than I Love This Yarn. Vanna's Choice is also nice for something relatively soft, but not too soft.

For avoiding shrinkage, you are usually safe with acrylic. Cotton will shrink.

If you look on the back of the yarn label you'll see a little skein of yarn with a number in it. If the number is 4 then it's worsted weight. Most of the worsted weight yarn in the States is 4ply worsted weight. Some is on the thin side (Simply Soft) and some is on the thicker side (Caron Natura Pounders) and some (Red Heart Super Saver) is spot on in the middle of the weight category.

As a general rule of thumb - softer yarns won't hold their shape as well. Also - using the appropriate sized hook or 1 size smaller will also help with holding shape.

Welcome to Crochetville might try using Red Heart Yarn it does keep its shape. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I do have a few skeins of the red heart yarn. But the feeling of the thread is so rough. will that soften to touch after washing?

I haven't made hats, or washed anything I have made with Caron One Pound, but that might work. It has a nicer feel than RH, and is just a smidge heavier, as Rose Red said. I crochet lapghans, and I find that being a bit denser, it isn't as "stretchy" as I Love This Yarn when the lapghan begins to get heavier.

Archived